Me and The Old Man.

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 11:28 am

When I was at my highest weight, I was pretty much homebound. I'm lucky enough to make a living out of my home office. And at 400 pounds it hurt to do most things for me. It was self imposed mostly out of shame I suppose. I would go to the park with the Fam, but regular outings were just absent from our family life.

One night about 2 years ago, my wife uncharacteristically had more wine the she normally would. For she was very sad inside, she did not know how to tell me that my weight was becoming an issue for her. While drunk, (I don't drink, so I consider everything drunk) she said she regretted not taking walks with me down the beach. It's all she asked for... It broke my heart.

I started carving a walking stick that night. I thought, that if I had the stick I HAD to walk, right? I finished it in a week. And it stood in the corner for a few months. I tried to walk in the forest, alone. It HURT so bad I stopped. I was done...I started planning my death. I was forming the plan, logistics, insurances all of that BULL**** I was doing to myself to walk away from this planet, wife, kids, all of it.  DONE!

I went to my PCP to ask about 'death with dignity' and he looked at me and sent me to a seminar that night. It was Dr. Anwar's WLS pitch. I was so PISSED at him for sending me to a WLS pitch. This man said that RNY might help me with this issue that had beaten me. I was scheduled the next month. I honestly figured I would die on the table. Problem solved. I didn't die. It felt like it, but I didn't.

The day I was in recovery was the same day that young female reporter and her cameraman were killed on live T.V. I felt so bad for those two lives snuffed by that sad F#$K, that I chose to live the rest of my life for them. I dedicated myself to a new chance and I was granted one. I now walk this forest everywhere, the old man my constant companion. I eat exactly what I'm supposed to. I live.

mschwab
on 2/3/16 12:57 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

Such a powerful story, and a wonderful illustration of how WLS saves lives.  You are doing so well and so many gain strength from you every day on OH.  Thank you for sharing such personal things so that we can all benefit.  You are amazing.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 6:13 pm

Thank you for saying such nice things.

thallnc
on 2/3/16 1:17 pm - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

WOW!!! Thanks for sharing!!! I had a sister that gave up on life and took the easy way out. It's so much harder for the remaining family members to live with that. That's why I keep telling myself that I will never get to that point and why I am working so hard to get my life back. It's a challenge every day but it's one I know I will win!!!

You are such an inspiration!!!

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 6:14 pm

Thank you. I learned a valuable lesson.

suzyq584
on 2/3/16 1:34 pm

Thanks for sharing your powerful story.  Thank you for showing your vulnerability so openly.  Thank you for living.

PS...put a smile on that face.  You deserve to!!  

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 6:16 pm

Thank you Suzyq. That's very nice of you to say.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/3/16 1:34 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

At first I

but then I

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 6:18 pm

I love your style Julie.

Deanna798
on 2/3/16 6:20 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

That's my Doctor! 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20