Watched 600 lb life for the 1st time...

catwoman7
on 2/4/16 10:26 am
RNY on 06/03/15

some of the full episodes are on youtube, too (not sure if they are legally on there, though - except those posted by TLC which they charge you to watch)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

jenorama
on 2/3/16 11:05 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I can'****ch this show.  Not so much that I see myself in them, but that I find it very frustrating.  From what I understand of the show, a lot of the people are given this opportunity and just squander it.  I guess I have a bit of a "boot straps" attitude about some things and I can't stand to see people rolling about being helpless when there are people right there ready and willing to help them out.  Reach out and take what's being offered--don't whine about pancakes!

Jen

RNY on 12/22/14

I've watched the show. Not from the beginning but I caught up when there was a marathon. I only remember 1 person totally squandering the opportunity (there may have been 1 or 2 others, but I only remember 1 clearly).  People have episodes of poor decision making (like most of us), but seem to get on/back on track.   I do think that for many people being overweight is not their only problem.

The show that was most interesting was one that gave the background of the show.  The Dr's son is the videogragpher.  He thought he would follow people for a year and make a documentary.  It took  him 7 years to do the first season.  That episode, probably more than the others, shows why Dr N works with this population - as I recall, he said that people at 600 pounds need WLS the most and to withhold WLS from them means that many will die.  They do not have all that much time before their bodies give out  WLS is the only proven method for permanent weight loss.  (WLS is not perfect,  but it's better than the 3-5% for regular diets.)  As a medical doctor, he felt that it was unacceptable to withhold the only hope from people because of perceived risk.  He developed a process and approach that he feels lowers the pre-surgery risk.  His medical approach makes it clear that for a portion of the population, WLS is the only option.  Sound familiar?? 

Every once in awhile they do a follow-up show, but do not show everyone.  Generally, 25% of people who get WLS gain it all back so I would think Dr N's results are similar. 

The show sometimes can trigger value-judging and watching it is an exercise in my developing compassion.

Sharon

Mell
on 2/3/16 11:37 am

I watch the show and sometimes it is too much for me emotionally, but for the most part it kind of gives me a kick in the ass.  I am 9 years out with a band and the struggle never goes away! Sometimes I need to remember those feelings I had before surgery.  I was not as big or as immobile as them but I had some of the same destructive habits and remembering where I came from reminds me that the struggle I have now is not as bad.

BAsically a love hate relationship with it.  Now I canno****ch skin tight! I had 12lbs removed from my abdomen and it was the most painful emotional experience of my life!!! That show just brings it all back and I get anxiety over it and it keeps me up all night thinking about it!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

MelodyMay
on 2/3/16 11:49 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I watch it all the time. I use it as motivation and it helped to give me a sneak peak on what to expect during and after surgery. I do have to put the brakes on watching it as I get closer to my surgery date. Watching them adjust those probes during surgery scares me now. But I will prob go back to watching it after the surgery. That and Skin Tight. 

Melody

HW: 394 SW: 359 GW: 187

LosinginAZ
on 2/3/16 3:21 pm

So I never watched it until today. All of your comments made me want to see it, and I am actually kind of glad I did. I was never as bad as these people, and I will NEVER let myself get back to where I was, which was only a hop skip and jump away from what I have seen. This show has only motivated me to work that much harder and keep on track. These poor people though, man I feel for them. :(

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Han Shot First
on 2/3/16 4:42 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I started watching last year at this time, and I'm totally addicted to this show.  I'm not usually the type to get so emotionally invested in a show, but I think it's the commonalities we have with them that gets me.  When they act whiny, and lazy, and just don't try, I get so angry.  But when they work their butts off (literally), I get to where I want to cheer, and it really lifts me up.  

I've jus****ched the first episode of the first season of Fat Doctor.  I'm not sure what I think about that one yet.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

mute
on 2/3/16 5:11 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I think part of what bothered me was the thought of some people watching the show and laughing at their struggles. I know I've seen people post on Facebook about how insanely fat people are on that show and other derogatory things...I hate thinking of people making fun of them like that. 

RNY on 12/22/14

I get your point.  It is perfectly acceptable in some circles to be cruel to others for whatever reason, and for those ignorant of the issues around weight issues, being fat is up for ridicule. 

I've never seen the posts on Facebook, which I avoid as a component of an Owellian Big Brother society. I have seen Youtube stuff that is as bad and understand the compassion you feel for the people on the show.  I see people's whose world's have become so small.

Sharon

supershopper
on 2/3/16 6:04 pm

I have watched about 3 episodes. My husband says it is bad for me to watch it (depressing) but I find that it helps be and reminds me of what could/can happen when you are a food addict.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8