Did I make the right choice?

Kcc216
on 1/31/16 3:49 pm, edited 1/31/16 4:31 pm
VSG on 02/17/16

Hi everyone!

I'm scheduled to have the sleeve done on 2/17 but lately I've been wondering if I made the right choice....maybe the RNY would be a better option. Going though the education classes and nutritional appointments, I thought vsg would be the best option for me as I fortunately do not have any comorbidities and I liked the idea of not having to take as many supplements since malabsorption isn't an issue and what I've heard about dumping syndrome is scary. But now I'm thinking malabsorption would be an added benefit, and aid in better long term success?
I'm not even sure I would be able to switch now if I wanted to, because insurance approval was for vsg.

Why did everyone choose the procedure that they did? Does anyone wish they would have chosen a different option?

A little about me-I'm 38, 5'5 and current weight is 248.
Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/16 4:12 pm - CA

When I had surgery back in 2001, RNY was the best procedure for me, due to the amount of weight I needed to lose, but also the fact that I was a sweet eater, volume control and malabsorption were an added benefit.   Whenever I have been approached by friends or someone looking into surgery and they ask me which surgery is the *******ways ask, do you eat a lot of sweets or are you a volume eater?   

The key to any of the WLS procedures that are being done now, is that this is a lifetime commitment in changing your eating habits.  You need to change what you eat, how you eat and when you eat, regardless of your procedure type.   

I feel that anyone is capable of eating around their tool and gaining weight back, so the key to the surgery is to use which ever tool you choose appropriately.    Measure your foods, plan your meals, cut the carbs and the sugar and focus on protein.  If you do this, with whichever procedure you choose, you will be successful.  

Good luck  :)

Nik

Felicia O'Connor
on 1/31/16 4:24 pm - South Pasadena, CA
RNY on 02/09/09 with

I had The RNY. Best decision ever. I am not much a sweet tooth, and i did not have the dumping issue as many have. I do however have the issue of being Anemic now. I still have 27 lbs to go. I am 6 years out and very happy with my surgery. You can still change your mind. Good luck and looking forward to hearing of your success.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/31/16 4:42 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I had the vsg & am very happy with my choice. Malabsorption of calories is short term & an added benefit, malabsorption of nutrients is for life & I don't think that will aid in long term success. You'll have to be on top of your vitamins to avoid long term problems.

Only you can know which surgery is best for you, go back & research some more. Its never too late to change your mind, but do check your insurance.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

acbbrown
on 2/1/16 7:09 am - Granada Hills, CA

I didn't like the idea of losing my pyloric valve for the very short term benefit of malabsorption like you said. 

I was and am a sweet addict but it's easily controlled with the help of Overeaters Anonymous. My only regret is that I didn't discover OA sooner. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Winter_Rose
on 2/2/16 8:45 am

"Malabsorption of calories is short term & an added benefit, malabsorption of nutrients is for life" 
Well stated. After many years the malabsorption benefits stop, and studies are showing they actually can reverse, but you will be on lifetime vitamin supplements. 

NYMom222
on 1/31/16 6:09 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I was at a point in my life where even when I restricted my diet and was 'doing the right thing'...I wasn't losing a significant amount of weight. So I worried that a restriction only procedure wouldn't be enough for me. I wanted the advantage of malabsorption to get me on the road to my goal. Most people don't dump... fear of dumping keeps you honest. :) I don't feel the vitamins are burdensome...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Kcc216
on 1/31/16 6:23 pm
VSG on 02/17/16

Thank you for the replies! I'm so torn! I have an appt with my surgeon this Thursday, I'm going to talk to them and see what they say and if it's even an option to switch. 

White Dove
on 1/31/16 6:56 pm - Warren, OH

Even though the malabsorption is temporary I enjoyed having 30 months when losing and maintaining was almost effortless. 

I do dump and do get tired of taking vitamins.  I did well with RNY and might have done well with VSG.  My surgeon was not doing VSG in 2007.  People do well with either surgery if they are willing to make the life changes needed.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hipswishingvinegarball
on 1/31/16 7:22 pm

I chose the DS, because I wanted the sleeved stomach, needed the help of malabsorption (but unlike what others have said here, the calorie malabsorbtion is for life, with the DS) and didn't want the added risk of dumping or reactive hypoglycemia with RNY. Also, all the scientific data said it had the best results for weight loss, weight maintenance, and resolution of co-morbs. 

I'm 8 years post op, and am grateful every day for this surgery.