Stricture

Joemac9408
on 1/29/16 2:39 pm - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

Anybody who's had one, how many times did it take before it was finally opened up enough?  Had it done twice so far with a third one scheduled for two weeks from now and I'm still not eating very well. Still pretty much just eating soft foods and it's getting to me at this point. I'm hoping after the next dilation I'll be ok to go back to my regular diet. Can't lie it's getting me a little depressed that I can't eat much and I can't eat anything that has to be chewed a lot or it either comes back up or takes 2 hours to finally digest. 

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/16 2:49 pm - CA

I am very sorry you are going through this.  I know it is not fun.   I had a stricture after my stoma revision in 2004.  It developed about 4 weeks after surgery and lasted about 8 weeks, but it did resolve on its own.  I have had friends that have had strictures dilated and a few had resolution after 2 dilations and others 3 or 4 dilations.  They really do have to dilate slowly, so they don't cause you pain or an enlargement.  I know what you mean about getting depressed, I just didn't want to eat because it was the same every day.   Try to hang in there, it WILL get better!   

Nik

cabin111
on 1/29/16 10:23 pm

This is a copy and paste...This subject comes up so often I find it easier to just post it.  Good luck...You should get better, the odds are in your favor.

For new RNYers you need to know these...Brian

What is a stricture?  This question comes up weekly, if not daily on OH.  Below is a copy and paste from Wikipedia.  If you are a few weeks out post op from RNY and have problems keeping well chewed food (even water) down, you might have a stricture.  Very common and very treatable (about 10% of RNY patients get them).  Also do not freak out if you have to go back a second or third time to get treated for one.  The Gastroenterologist will go just below the pouch and air up the "balloon" .  It is an outpatient procedure and you will be sedated.

As the anastomosis heals, it forms scar tissue, which naturally tends to shrink ("contract") over time, making the opening smaller. This is called a "stricture". Usually, the passage of food through an anastomosis will keep it stretched open, but if the inflammation and healing process outpaces the stretching process, scarring may make the opening so small that even liquids can no longer pass through it. The solution is a procedure called gastroendoscopy, and stretching of the connection by inflating a balloon inside it. Sometimes this manipulation may have to be performed more than once to achieve lasting correction.

Dehydration...#1 reason RNY patients reenter the hospital!!
[edit]
Symptoms and prognosis

Symptoms may include headaches similar to what is experienced during a hangover, muscle cramps, a sudden episode of visual snow, decreased blood pressure (hypotension), and dizziness or fainting when standing up due to orthostatic hypotension. Untreated dehydration generally results in delirium, unconsciousness, swelling of the tongue and in extreme cases death.

Dehydration symptoms generally become noticeable after 2% of one's normal water volume has been lost. Initially, one experiences thirst and discomfort, possibly along with loss of appetite and dry skin. This can be followed by constipation. Athletes may suffer a loss of performance of up to 30%[6], and experience flushing, low endurance, rapid heart rates, elevated body temperatures, and rapid onset of fatigue.

Symptoms of mild dehydration include thirst, decreased urine volume, abnormally dark urine, unexplained tiredness, irritability, lack of tears when crying, headache, dry mouth, dizziness when standing due to orthostatic hypotension, and in some cases can cause insomnia.

In moderate to severe dehydration, there may be no urine output at all. Other symptoms in these states include lethargy or extreme sleepiness, seizures, sunken fontanel (soft spot) in infants, fainting, and sunken eyes.

The symptoms become increasingly severe with greater water loss. One's heart and respiration rates begin to increase to compensate for decreased plasma volume and blood pressure, while body temperature may rise because of decreased sweating. Around 5% to 6% water loss, one may become groggy or sleepy, experience headaches or nausea, and may feel tingling in one's limbs (paresthesia). With 10% to 15% fluid loss, muscles may become spastic, skin may shrivel and wrinkle (decreased skin turgor), vision may dim, urination will be greatly reduced and may become painful, and delirium may begin. Losses greater than 15% are usually fatal.

In people over age 50, the body's thirst sensation diminishes and continues diminishing with age. Many senior citizens suffer symptoms of dehydration. Dehydration along with hyperthermia results in seniors dying during extreme hot weather.

Dehydration is the excessive loss of water from the body. Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract can lead to dehydration in various ways. Often, dehydration becomes the major problem in an otherwise self-limited illness. Fluid loss may even be severe enough to become life-threatening.

The best treatment for minor dehydration is drinking water and stopping fluid loss. Sports drinks and other rehydration fluids are preferable to water; plain water restores only the volume of the blood plasma, inhibiting the thirst mechanism before solute levels can be replenished.[13] To stop fluid loss from vomiting and diarrhea, avoid solid foods and drink only clear liquids. In some cases, eating of salted foods may have a positive impact on the person. However, eating salted foods should come with more intake of a clear liquid. It is wise to slowly drink liquids when dehydrated. [14]

In more severe cases, correction of a dehydrated state is accomplished by the replenishment of necessary water and electrolytes (rehydration, through oral rehydration therapy or intravenous therapy).

Joemac9408
on 1/30/16 2:11 am - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

Thanks for the replies. I was surprised i have a stricture so far out from my surgery. I don't know if I had so long I just didn't know and it just got worse until it was practically closed and I was in the hospital. The one thing that was different I suppose was the fact that the sutures used to reconnect my intestines back to my stomach had somehow become loose and formed basically and X across the opening. So after they dilated the first time they noticed the sutures and had to cut them the second time. The Gastro seems confident that after the 3rd dilation I should be ok but with all the problems I've had I'm not so confident. I guess we shall see

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/30/16 5:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It's not unusual for it to take 3 or 4 dilations. And yours is even more unusual. It's the first time I've heard of the sutures creating a blockage. Now that they've found the issue, it should all work out soon.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Joemac9408
on 1/30/16 11:18 am - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

It was wild, he actually showed me the picture he took of  the sutures before he cut them. I couldn't believe I was able to eat any food at all. 

terri101b
on 1/30/16 11:02 am - Brunswick,, OH

They found mine on Jan 712th along with 2 ulcers,,they told after the procedure I would have to come back every 2-3 weeks for the next couple of months,,I went back on Jan 21 for second procedure  and next one is scheduled for Feb 4 

terri101b
on 1/30/16 11:03 am - Brunswick,, OH

Sorry,found Jan 7