What's so hard about it?

MsBatt
on 1/31/16 8:13 am

I didn't have the RNY---I knew the DS was a much better choice for me. I'm 12 years out, and I can honestly say nothing's been really HARD. It took me a while to develop the habit of taking my vitamins, but once it did become a true habit it's been no big deal.

I think that if I'd gone with the RNY, I'd have had a really hard time not drinking with meals.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/31/16 10:10 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

In the beginning it was not drinking with my meals. It felt so weird to not do this anymore, now its a habit. Also it felt like my whole day was about food like how could I get in my protein, water, vitamins in every day. Now not a problem.

Later on it was the head hunger & mental issues. It was/is the continual battle to not turn to food for comfort in times of stress, depression, happiness etc. To treat food as a nutritional requirement, not a oh I deserve this treat, or I had a messed up day & I want this or that. I also had to distinguish between if I had a craving for something because I was filling/avoiding an emotion at that time or I just had a craving & I could wait it out or find a substitution.

Also had to treat drinking differently. I used to eat & drink, in my mind the food was soaking up the alcohol so it wouldn't hit me as fast. Now I have to remember, I'm a cheap date. LOL 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

handtlkr
on 2/1/16 6:13 am - Gulfport, MS
VSG on 12/17/15

The first couple of weeks were the hardest for me. Things are coming much more naturally now, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, but I don't crave things either. 

The first couple of weeks, I felt like every vein in my body was wanting to rip out of my skin, because I was basically detoxing. No one told me these were some of the feelings I would have.  I got lightheaded at first as well, lack of calories and what I was used to. After the third week, I started feeling totally normal and am doing well and adjusted to this new life. I just bought my first couple of pants in the new lower size (totally jumped down two sizes) and am getting excited about clothes shopping for the first time in 30 years. 

I've been robbed! My grandbaby stole my heart!  She just raised her hands and I surrendered.

Laura in Texas
on 2/1/16 10:12 am

From my 8 years here, the hardest part for some people is realizing that the surgery is not magic. You actually have to work at losing the weight and even harder to keep it off.

If you do not learn new habits you could gain it all back.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Catek2652
on 2/2/16 8:18 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Exercising. I really feel like I should be working or cleaning the house or answering emails. I am having a very hard time making it part of my routine just like the vitamins, drinking water, not drinking before during and after meals. I think part of it is that I'm so out of shape and my arthritis is so bad, it really hurts to walk and do strengthe building.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Tracy D.
on 2/4/16 10:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hardest part - hands down - is learning how to maintain the weight loss in a healthy way.  Losing weight is a BREEZE compared to the rest of your life.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15