Denied surgery for a BMI of 34.9 with comorbidities

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/16 6:50 am

I was being funny ladygodiva..Why don't you go find someone else to harass!

ladygodiva1228
on 1/28/16 7:39 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On January 28, 2016 at 2:50 PM Pacific Time, Sharonkshea wrote:

I was being funny ladygodiva..Why don't you go find someone else to harass!

Well just so you know it's not funny.  Not harassing trying to make you open your eyes.  I have a feeling you think WLS is going to be some magic pill, it is not. 

If you are not committed before hand and have all your ducks in a row things will not work out the way you plan.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/16 7:43 am

I was merely stating that if I was able to eat one or two ounces at a time, as is the case after weight los surgery, that I would not be in the situation I'm in.  I think most people that have had weight loss surgery could relate to that comment.  And yes I was joking!  I have already done the six month physician supervised diet and lost 32 pounds so I'm not sure how much more committed you would like for me to be.  I know exactly what I'm getting into and know all too well that the changes I will be making will have to be for life if I don't want to end up right back where I am now.

ladygodiva1228
on 1/28/16 11:35 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On January 28, 2016 at 3:43 PM Pacific Time, Sharonkshea wrote:

I was merely stating that if I was able to eat one or two ounces at a time, as is the case after weight los surgery, that I would not be in the situation I'm in.  I think most people that have had weight loss surgery could relate to that comment.  And yes I was joking!  I have already done the six month physician supervised diet and lost 32 pounds so I'm not sure how much more committed you would like for me to be.  I know exactly what I'm getting into and know all too well that the changes I will be making will have to be for life if I don't want to end up right back where I am now.

Who had you do the six month diet was it your PCP or the bariatric surgeon?  They very well could have blown your chances of getting the surgery approved since you lost weight and it caused you to go under the required BMI.  I wish doctors would not do things like that.

If you decide to go to Mexico make sure you have a follow up doctor already on hand here in the states and I would really stress to make sure your insurance will cover any complications that might arise from the surgery. 

Some of us here have seen people with good intentions of having the surgery out of the country end up in bad situations once they come back to the states and have issues.  Some had very high medical bills because insurance refused to cover anything.

Remember anyone can gain the weight back after WLS if they stop following the plan.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/28/16 10:20 am, edited 1/28/16 2:21 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'll admit trying to eat post op without the surgery can be difficult, but not impossible. While you're waiting out the appeals process you can adopt some of the things post ops do now like eating a protein forward meal. Avoid crappy carbs. Drink at least 64oz of water a day. Log everything you're eating in an app like My fitness pal. You won't know what to change or cut back on if you don't know what & how much you're eating.See your regular Dr & see if maybe you're producing too much acid & get a ppi, too much acid mimics hunger. If you have an emotional connection with food, seek out therapy to break those connections.

As you can see there are plenty of things you can work on now, rather than wait on surgery.

Finally ease up on some of the people here like White Dove & LadyGodiva, you're assuming some kind of tone in their replies when they're trying to help you. No one knows if you know that surgery is not a magic wand. Your original post is sending out a message that you're doomed to failure if you don't have the surgery. True it's a tool that is needed, but there are things you can do now till you get it.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

acbbrown
on 1/27/16 6:23 pm - Granada Hills, CA

There's always an appeal process for insurance denials. Sounds like your cardiologist might be willing to help out with that process? Don't give up on the insurance route yet. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Grim_Traveller
on 1/27/16 7:23 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If you have the money, you could self pay here in the US. If it were me, and I wasn't swimming in money, I would appeal the insurance decision, and use the Mexico money for plastics in a couple of years.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/16 7:51 pm

I did save up enough money to have the surgery here but then I started hearing about going to Mexico and thought why not. It would save me 14000 that I can use for plastic surgery later as you said!

Nich_R
on 1/27/16 11:10 pm

I don't have any experience with doing an appeal but I think it's something worth at least trying. It sounds like you have multiple medical professionals on your side as well. While you're waiting for the appeal process do your research regarding surgery in Mexico with your multiple health issues and follow-up back at home after surgery.

I can imagine that this is frustrating. Best of luck to you.

Nichole | Portland, OR | VSG 07.08.15 | HW 371.1 | SW 348.2 | CW 199.6 | GW 150

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/16 6:20 am

Thank you!