Denied surgery for a BMI of 34.9 with comorbidities

The Salty Hag
on 1/27/16 5:32 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

She simply asked a question. No need to bite her head off. 

We all had to wait, some of us at much higher BMI's than you-and some of us much longer than a year! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/16 5:47 pm

My bmi was 34.9 5 years ago that is not what it is now.  Also it wasn't the question she asked it was the way she asked it. And yes some wait much longer but if I have the money to go have it done in Mexico than I don't feel I should have to justify why I don't want to wait, however I will to end the judgement. I'm a severe asthmatic and the weight and asthma combined are putting too much stress on my heart. My cardiologist wants me to have the surgery. Of course he would rather I have it in the states but as I explained in my original post I was denied. Apparently like some people on this board the insurance company just assumes that everyone with similar bmi's have similar health issues which is not alwsys the case. I do not think I will still be alive if I postpone the surgery for a year. That being said I didn't appreciate the snide manner in which i was questioned. I asked about insurance appeals not to be scolded because others have had to wait longer than I might have to.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/27/16 6:44 pm - OH

With breathing AND cardiac issues, are you sure you want to risk complications during a surgery in Mexico??  (I wouldn't.)

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

NHPOD9
on 1/27/16 11:18 pm

She asked a question. You insinuated the tone. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/27/16 5:54 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You could get hit by a bus and die during that year as well  

I understand that you are excited and want to move forward as quickly as possible, but I think you're overreacting to WhiteDove's comment.  My BMI was over 70 when I decided to have surgery.  Per my insurance, I had to undergo a six month period of a supervised diet before they would approve me.  I had hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea and constant pain in my knees and back that required me to take NSAIDS and vicodin daily.  I'm also a cancer survivor.  During my annual CT scan, they found a growth near my ovary that was cause for concern.  I ended up waiting almost 17 months before I had surgery.   

I used the time to work on my weight loss.  Exercise wasn't possible because of the pain.  I don't know how old you are, but it's unlikely that you'll die from breathing and heart issues if you're currently under treatment.

The reason why WLS is the last resort for many of us is that we have tried every diet known to mankind.  We lose weight, go off the diet and gain it back.  WLS gives us an edge in that we have limited room for food.  The VSG removes part of the stomach that produces ghrelin, the hunger hormone.  The RNY adds the malabsorption component.  We can lose weight because not only are our bodies modified, but so are some metabolic components which are not fully understood yet.

WLS can be effective to lose weight quickly.  Keeping it off is another game altogether.  There's no guarantee that you won't gain weight if you don't alter your lifestyle - PERMANENTLY.  Stick around.  You'll see plenty of people on OH talk about regain.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/16 6:02 pm

Hello there Beautiful. Great advice. How's it goin?

on 1/27/16 6:15 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It's going great.  Howzit with you?

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/16 7:03 pm

I just changed the batteries in my truck. 250 clams. Thank you very much. The taxes just kill you. How's Cali? 

on 1/28/16 11:44 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Must be a nice truck.

It's a beeyootiful day in SoCal.  Blue skies, mid 70s and almost the weekend.

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/16 2:05 pm

Flatbed hauler.You know, I went to High school at Bassett high in La Puenta in 1980. My cousin Eddie was a kicker for the Rams, now he's a regional vice pres for Farmer John. I have a bunch of family down there. You're a lucky girl.