Feet are always cold!

Deanna798
on 1/27/16 8:56 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Socks, shoes,  heated blankets,  it doesn't matter.  They are painfully cold.  

I'm assuming work with my feet wrapped in a heated throw under my desk and they ate still like ice. The rest of me is comfortable,  but my poor feet!.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

White Dove
on 1/27/16 9:38 am - Warren, OH

I wore silk sock liners with wool socks.  You could also try the foot warmers from the sporting department.  I saw socks with a section to put the warmer in.

I was OK by the second winter after surgery, but froze the first winter.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

lking
on 1/27/16 4:51 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I've been wearing silk long underwear everyday all winter.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Maria27
on 1/27/16 9:46 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I swear that winter never felt as cold as it does now. My feet are the worst too.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

RNY0615
on 1/27/16 10:04 am

I'm not sure if this is the case with you, but I developed neuropathy after my surgery. My toes and fingers FEEL painfully cold/numb, but it's just my nerves. Even when they're actually physically warm (I've soaked them in warm water for relief, as well as all the things you mentioned) they still FEEL cold. 

I now see a neurologist and I haven't gotten any relief yet, but we're experimenting with Neurontin right now. I'm up to 600 mg/day and still no relief, but we'll see. The cold weather CERTAINLY makes the pain a lot worse! When they're ACTUALLY cold, it's far more painful, for sure! 

Deanna798
on 1/27/16 10:09 am
RNY on 08/04/15

This is interesting,  even when I have them wrapped in the blanket they are so cold.  I'm going to reevaluateat with this in mind and see how it feels. Right now they are so cold I can't tell if it's really cold or something else.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/16 10:59 am

I have peripheral polyneuropathy also. I was at 3600 mg. per day of Neurontin. My Pcp scrapped the whole idea, switched me to 500 mg of Lyrica. Aside from the soul crushing depression, it's working great on the pain.

I COMPLETELY sympathize with you. It's almost not worth trying to describe to people, as it is so hard to imagine so many things happening at once. The ONLY way someone will understand is if they have it.

If they try Lyrica on you, be weary of it's side effects. I found myself sitting at the base of a tree, nuzzling my Mossberg 20 guage. I knew it might be time for professional help.

RNY0615
on 1/27/16 11:26 am

geez! Sorry about the side effects you got from it! My neurologist said both lyrica and neurontin would probably work, and  asked if I had a preference. I checked my insurance coverage, and opted for the neurontin because it's $5/month vs. $30/month for Lyrica. BUT, if I can't get enough neurontin in me for it to work, I may need to switch to Lyrica! 

Depression is something I've always sort of battled with, and usually I get over it in time without medication, but there have been times it's gotten bad enough where I've needed help. I hate to take OTHER medication that has depression as a side effect cuz I don't really need help in that department! LOL... 

But yes, this neuropathy is hard to live with! I can't zip small zippers or open water bottles anymore without it killing me, and OH THE AGONY if I stub a toe!!!! I'm VERY MUCH a flip flop girl (born and raised in FL) and I have lots of pairs of toe socks so I can continue wearing my flip flops in the winter, BUT since I've gotten neuropathy, I bought myself a good pair of boots and have worn them every day because they protect my toes from my clumsiness! 

animallover1247
on 1/28/16 6:21 pm

Yes, listen to to the previous post about being aware of the side effects of Lyrica IF you ever have to take it. Yes, it helps with the pain but I gained 24 lbs in three months so my doctor put me on a diabetes medication that has the side effect of decreased appetite. I have lost what I gained on the medication but have not been able to lose anymore and yes, I still have to take the Lyrica. I cannot move without it. I have fibro and neuropathy. In fact I know several people who are on or have been on Lyrica and every single one of them have gained weight. I am scared to take the Lyrica after WLS but I need it. It's so depressing! Just be mindful it can cause weight gain. 

SkinnyScientist
on 1/27/16 10:38 am

At bed bath and beyond they have this foot pocket things. They are one big pocket that is an electric blanket and my friend uses one to keep her cold feet warm too (and she hasnt had surgery).

I am freezing as well. This is my second winter of being cold...but I would rather be cold than MO!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !