6 month Post Op Visit White Blood cell was low. diganose as anemic, B-12 defecient,...

siberiancat
on 1/26/16 1:03 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Oncologist/Hemotologist doctors treat anemia ( low iron, ferritin, etc).  If your body is not absorbing oral iron from foods or supplements you may need an iron infusion.  It is not uncommon.

I agree with keeping a spreadsheet with your lab values so you can see trends.  They may be within "normal" limits - but bariatric patients are not "normal" as compared to the general population.  You can take your spreadsheet with you lab values to the physician and show them the trend is going up or down.  Unfortunately, you have to take control and monitor these yourself.

It is worth it to be in charge of your own health.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

bigsalty
on 1/27/16 6:46 pm

Thanks for your response. I must admit that I have missed a few of my pills on days... Not intentionally, just need to get a better routine going with that. I no it's serious now, so making a better effort to get this in now.. As far as getting all the proteins in. That has sometimes been difficult at times. Now that I get full faster. But I have started making a protein shake daily now( EAS protein) that I really like now. Just hoping that everything turns out ok next week at the doctor

NYMom222
on 1/26/16 9:07 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

How did the nutritionist know you were losing muscle mass? Or was it a generic- everyone loses muscle?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

bigsalty
on 1/27/16 6:49 pm

She makes me stand on some type of scale and it figures out numbers that tell her...

Grim_Traveller
on 1/27/16 7:19 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Those scales are notoriously inaccurate. You can get a DEXA scan, a specialized x-ray, that will give you extremely detsiled body composition numbers. But I wouldn't put much stock in the scales.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

bigsalty
on 1/28/16 4:32 am

ok, thanks for the info. 

Felicia O'Connor
on 1/26/16 9:48 pm - South Pasadena, CA
RNY on 02/09/09 with

Been there too~ still am dealing with it. I now take shots monthly of B12 and i take Iron 500 every week. Go to doctors next month to see if my numbers are better.

bigsalty
on 1/27/16 12:24 pm

Thanks for responding.  I am happy to hear that this is more common now after the surgery.  I hope my doctor visit next week is not to bad and they can get me on track.

MickeyDee
on 1/28/16 1:01 am

What were your lab test result pre-op?  That should give you a good idea of your starting numbers.

Every time I get my blood work done, I have copies of the results sent to me.  That way I keep track and don't get "everything looks fine" from my PCP.

I use either the Trader Joe's B12 sublingual or a B-complex tab, also sublingual, 4X weekly.  My numbers on B complex have been right on target for many years.  That takes care of potential anemia.

Your first duty is to your health.  No more fooling around with "forgetting" to take your vitamins;  you're a big boy now, so get with the program.

Definitely get the iron infusions, to get your body back in line, and stay with it.

Good luck!   

bigsalty
on 1/28/16 4:30 am

Thanks and will do.  My numbers were in the normal range.