Repercussions of not enough protein daily????

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/25/16 1:21 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I did not discover ISOPURE until I had to prep for a colonoscopy.  I thought it was great - 16 oz with 40gs of protein - clear.  Some people hate it, but it was OK for me.

Sharon

Grim_Traveller
on 1/25/16 6:19 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Short term, you can go without protein, vitamins, anything. But keep it as short as you can.

Your body NEEDS cettain things. The original definition for vitamins was, they were things your body could not manufacture, you had to eat them from food. You also need some fat in your diet. Carbs are just energy, and we have so much enetgy stored in our body as fat, we don't need a single carb for a very long time.

Protein is the building blocks for all our muscles. And hair. Do you like hair? Have a low protein intake for a long time, hair goes first. And nails. They are non-essential. Then you start breaking down muscle to get the protein you aren't eating. So you still have a lot of fat, but now less muscle. When your body has robbed your skeletal muscle, it will start taking from the most important muscle of all -- your heart.

You're a long way away from that, but that's the ultimate repercussion. For now, just try your best to increase that protein. It can take a little while for some. But keep working.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Catek2652
on 1/25/16 7:05 am
RNY on 10/26/15

My surgery was in late October and I had three more surgeries before Thanksgiving due to blockages. I was warned I would probably lose hair about three months in due to the medicine used to knock me out for the surgeries. And, sure enough, it's falling everywhere. My nails, on the other hand, are longer and stronger than they have ever been. I'm guessing we are all a little different. Hoping my hair recovers soon, however, as it is cold outside.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

csettle7
on 1/25/16 6:45 am
VSG on 01/14/16

First, I want to address the cramping. I'll be 2 weeks post op this Thursday, and I have noticed that if I am taking in too much air with my sips, my stomach immediately starts cramping. I have to get up and walk around in order to get the air back up and the cramping stops. Secondly, I've been mixing my Unjury chocolate splendor with Fair Life fat free milk. It has more protein than regular fat free milk, 13 grams for 8 oz. So it takes my shakes from 20 grams to 33. I drink 4 oz at a time, usually breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack. Sometimes I'll sub a greek yogurt, but I've never been much of a yogurt lover. I'm still on full liquids, but with this way I work on my water between my shakes and I've had no trouble meeting my protein and water goals.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/25/16 1:18 pm, edited 1/25/16 5:27 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

In the first week - 2 weeks - 2 prot shakes - I'm sure you're sick off them - but 2 at 35gms prot each and I was done, plus I had 24 oz of water in!!  (Pure Protein - cans - online or a Trader Joes)   Then poached fish and cottage cheese (not at same time)

I was not able to always finish a can before it became clumpy.  MY PA knew that it took awhile but to keep trying to get the protein in, so she said keep trying and get it in before iced tea.  After a few hours, I waited and then opened another one and sip sip sip some more.  I have not had a problem getting prot lately.

Why - because your body does not store protein, so if you are not getting enough, your body will slow down and then cannibalize your lean muscle mass - neither is good for long term weight loss. Even with a good amount of protein intake, you will still lose 15-20% of muscle, and may need to do weight training to help with maintainence.

Good luck - buy small quantities of things until you find out what you like the best.

From what I read, you are doing well for where you are at post-surgery!

Sharon

Luvmygs
on 1/25/16 1:33 pm, edited 1/25/16 5:35 am
VSG on 12/04/14

You're only 9 days post op, your new stomach is still a little swollen. Don't worry, in time you'll get all your protein in. I think it took me almost 2-1/2 weeks to get all my protein in and it would take me almost 1 whole day to finish just 1 shake. It does get better. Just make sure you are drinking your water, thats important. If you are drinking too fast and to much, it will hurt and cramp. I can't believe you're already eating eggs? I wasn't able to have eggs until 5 weeks out. Take it slow and little sips. Good luck.

CMR1075
on 1/25/16 5:04 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Yeah the eggs are part of the diet first thing when you get home but they have to be poached or soft scrambled. I am not a big egg eater so I tried it twice since being pre op and it didn't sit too well so I haven't done it again. 

Sarafer
on 1/25/16 4:10 pm, edited 1/25/16 8:10 am
RNY on 01/14/16

I'm 11 days post op RNY and was the same. At discharge both my surgeon and the nurse said you will not get in the recommended amount of protein or water at first but you will need to build up to it. Your pouch is swollen and everything is weird :). My goal was to drink 2 Premiere Protein shakes a day (30 grams protein each), which was pretty darn close to my protein goal. It also took me 2-3 hours to get through one, so I worked on one in the morning and one in the afternoon with water the rest of the time.

RNY: 1/14/16    Age: 34   Height: 5'4"  SW: 280

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/28/16 11:10 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I am not saying that low protein caused this person's problems, but these are the types of things that can happen from long term low protein.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6000312/6-month-Post- Op-Visit-White-Blood-cell-was-low-diganose-as/

Sharon