Bread substitute in recipe?

mute
on 1/24/16 5:52 am
RNY on 03/23/15

i got a recipe for fish cakes that sounds good from a friend and it calls for 1 cop of bread crumbs. I don't eat bread at all due to carbs. Same with pasta, etc. Any suggestions for a good substitute? I read somewhere that pork  rinds would be good but I'm not so sure about that!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/24/16 6:21 am

Pork rinds, or coconut flour, or flax meal.. Or combination of those. 

I.e. for "breading" I use a mix or crushed pork rinds and shreded coconut flakes.. So good... 

But for my meatloaf I mix flax meal, some coconut four, and pork rinds.. 

But you can't do 1:1 substitution... It does not work that way. Unfortunately..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mute
on 1/24/16 6:36 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Would the coconut flour or flax meal add any flavor or just texture? I've had flax that I used to add to my juice. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/24/16 6:49 am

They will and they do.  That's why combination works best for me. 

I can't use any cheese due to allergies... But parmesan with pork rinds work great... (i heard) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/24/16 6:24 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I have actually used pork rinds successfully - and I have often used parmesan cheese (just the crappy Kraft in a can version) as a substitute for bread crumbs.  However, both are really calorie dense -- so do keep that in mind.  I have also used almond meal (finely ground almonds) -- although it's dense and doesn't absorb the same way bread/parmesan/rinds do. 

I am not sure what fish cakes are?  -- But I do make crab cakes (so I am assuming similar?) and for my family I use half the bread and half parmesan -- and for myself I use straight parmesan.  Pork rinds would definitely work -- I just don't have those on hand all the time.

Hope this helps.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

mute
on 1/24/16 6:35 am
RNY on 03/23/15

They're pretty much the same, except with white fish. The bread seems to be just what holds it together. I just don't want something to affect the taste that much or be too much in the way of calories either. So I'm not sure about the parmesan - although that would be delicious...and the pork rinds sound like they would be high in calories. HMMM....

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/24/16 6:46 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Here's what I do when faced with this kind of choice -- I compare it.

1 cup of bread crumbs:

480 calories

84 carbs

4 g fat

1 cup parmesan:

440 calories

4 carbs

32 g fat

8 oz pork rinds:

320 calories

0 carbs

20 grams fat

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

mute
on 1/24/16 6:52 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Always helpful - thanks!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/24/16 6:44 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Fish cakes are not cake. Please do not sully the memory of cake by calling them that.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Eggface
on 1/24/16 11:09 am - Sunny Southern, CA

For breading chicken I tend to use almond meal and parmesan mixture, meatloaf I use a little oatmeal soaked in milk, fish cakes... hmmm.... I would think egg and almond meal would help them keep shape. If you don't care about the shape... press them into a muffin tin or mix with cooked quinoa or cooked cauliflower... might alter flavor but would probably be what I would do.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com