How did you choose your surgeon?

Ourpaints
on 1/24/16 5:59 am

Dr. Wade Bsrker, Dallas, Tx did mine and 11 others that I knew....I can't speak for the others, but I am 7 & 1/2 years post RNY and still down100#.  I eat anything I want. Never any dumping, etc.  I just know when to say when and still have some volume restrictions.  I'd let him do mine tomorrow if I had too!

"I may have to grow old, but, I don't have to grow up!"

See my horses on the website I made for them.  I am losing weight to get healthy and be able to ride again!  http://ourpaints.gq.nu
Laura in Texas
on 1/24/16 6:57 am

I wanted the surgeon with the best skills- someone who was a good cutter. To me that was most important. Bedside manner or aftercare were not top priorities for me. I knew I could find aftercare elsewhere if needed.

Have you gone to many support group meetings? See in person who successful post-ops have used. Sadly there are a lot of bad surgeons out there.

Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Deanna798
on 1/26/16 1:52 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

There are many places to have Bariatric surgery in my area, and multiple centers of excellence as well.  I chose my surgeon because I knew someone who had gone through his program and done very well.  Also, I had attempted to schedule a seminar with the hospital that my PCP works with, and they didn't seem to have their **** together.  They cancelled on me at the last minute because they were restructuring their Bariatric program.  That was a red flag, so I went to the seminar where I eventually had my surgery and instantly liked the Bariatric nurse and the staff there.  They were no nonsense and didn't pull any punches when it came to telling us what we should expect.

I had a friend who had surgery through a Barix clinic and it was like a surgery mill.  She was self-pay, so they pumper her through super fast and she had so many complications.  She honestly was not aware of so much of the stuff that my program provided.

If I was going to do it all over again, I'd probably have visited a few different seminars to see what the other ones said, but overall, I'm extremely satisfied with my surgeon.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

lking
on 1/26/16 2:08 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

My PCP recommended my surgeon.  I then researched her on the internet by reading her credentials and all the former and present patient reviews I could find.  My PCP's recommendation was spot on!

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.