Surgiversary, goal, pics, lessons...

mysty888
on 1/22/16 5:52 pm
RNY on 01/22/15

It took exactly one year, but I made it! This last year went by both agonizingly slowly, as well as in a blink of an eye. The day to day making choices, anticipating stepping on the scale, measuring, planning, etc. was sometimes tedious and exhausting, and even though I was making progress, I never thought I would get there. Now that I have a routine, and have finally made it, it feels like it went by in a blink of an eye. 

Some things I learned and/or experienced:

I was very lucky to have very little complications, for that I am extremely grateful. (This is not to say it still can't happen.)

Dropping sizes was SUPER slow in the beginning, and by the end, I was pretty much skipping sizes. 

I had no idea I would look like I do. I NEVER thought I would be this thin, my body has completely changed in more ways than I expected. I used to have an hourglass shape, now I have boy hips and a super flat booty. Weird. 

People could sort of tell I was losing weight, but it wasn't noticeable for quite awhile. Once I got down to about a size six, people didn't recognize me anymore. It seemed like I still looked heavy, until all of a sudden, I was skinny. 

I NEVER thought I would be skinny. I was hoping to be a size 10 or 12, and I'm in a 4. This is not to brag, but to say, I had no idea what the final result would be. I weigh 155, which for me is a 4, which makes no sense, but it is what it is. 

For newbies, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not compare your journey with anyone else's, especially when it comes to how fast you lose. The hardest thing was watching other people drop faster, especially when I was on a stall. In the end, my body is different, I may have started heavier or lighter, I didn't have complications, my goal may have been different, etc. It's great to have questions answered here, and to cheer on those that are losing with you, but again, everyone is different and this experience is yours uniquely. 

I am healthier, and that was always the ultimate goal. 

I am grateful for my immediate family that were extremely supportive. I haven't been very open about surgery because there is one person that doesn't need to know, and I don't tell many people to make sure she doesn't find out. I do tell most people that ask. 

I lost 134 pounds. That is the size of another whole person. I had no idea I could lose that much. When I was fat, I felt fat, but not that fat. Does that make sense? I don't know. It's just kinda mind boggling sometimes. 

It takes a long time for your mind to catch up to your body. Go to a support group, it helps, a lot. Even if it is so you know someone else in real life that did this too. 

You WILL lose hair. I lost about 60-70% of my hair. It was awful, but it passes. 

You WILL have extra skin. Accept it. Have more surgery later if you choose to have it removed. 

People always want to know what you did to lose weight, but they generally don't want to do any work on themselves. Even though I had surgery, my son lost 85 pounds on his own using a plan I set up for him. People ask me all the time what I did, and how to do it themselves, so I give them a plan. Not one other person, other than my son, has done anything with it. You really have to be ready, and to really want it, to do it. (This applies to both people wanting to lose 10 or 100 pounds, as well as those that have surgery and do not make the real changes needed to lose).

I find that other people think I judge them because I lost weight. I don't care what someone else eats, whether or not they went to the gym, etc, but I find people making excuses for their weight because I lost mine. I don't care. I love my friends and family for who they are, not what they look like. I don't mean for anyone else to feel bad about themselves because I changed me, but it happens. Sorry. 

I was extremely lucky to not lose any friends over my weight loss. 

I am very bendy now. I can cross my legs, then tuck my foot around my other ankle. Also weird. 

I work at a restaurant, and I still made goal weight. You can always find a way to make a better choice, even when you serve six layer chocolate cake slices all night. Success ALWAYS is better than any cake could ever taste. 

Happiness is not in food.

Let me repeat, happiness is not in food. 

Food is temporary. Success, achieving, hitting goals, learning, loving yourself, trying new things, feeling good, having energy, rewarding yourself, being kind to yourself, etc. Those are the things that matter in life, and those are what bring happiness. 

Anyway, no huge words of wisdom, but some musings and notions. For those just starting out, do what you know you need to do, and you will get there, in your own time. It's ok to ask questions, have many different feelings, and sometimes be tired, or flat out exhausted. Perseverance is always key! Keep at it! If you mess up one day, get back on track the same day. Do what works for you. Follow the rules as much as you can. Keep on the boards if that keeps you focused. Most of all, absolutely above everything else, always, be kind to yourself. Enough other people will have their two cents, but it doesn't matter, you are the one that lives in your body. It's no one else's business, and you have suffered enough being obese. Be kind. Love yourself. If you don't know how, keep trying until you figure it out. Giving yourself this gift of surgery, is a huge start, so don't waste it. Don't make excuses. Be real with yourself and do what you know is right. Don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake, learn from it and try again. 

Now, on to maintenance. That will be another set of lessons to learn!

Aleyna1228
on 1/22/16 6:20 pm

You look fantastic and I love your attitude and advice!  Congratulations to you and best of luck in maintenance.  

Age- 35 | 5'4" | Surgery VSG - 9/21/15

Highest/Consult- 250 | Surgery- 235 | Current- 143 | Goal- 145 |

| M1-22 | M2-10 | M3-13 | M4-13 | M5-13 | M6-10| M7 - 8| M8- 3| Total Lost - 107|

Reached goal in 7 months 1 week and now maintaining!

timeforthis
on 1/22/16 6:28 pm

Love this!  Thanks for sharing!

Shel25
on 1/22/16 7:23 pm, edited 1/22/16 1:46 pm

Congratulations!  Lots of good info in your post!!!  You have done a great job and I love your attitude.  

If you are interested, there is a vsg maintenance community group that you can find here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/  Of the regular posters, a few of us are very new into maintenance and some are years out. I am trying to do maintenance mindfully -- as you said, another set of lessons to learn.  It is wonderful to get everyone's perspective. You are welcome to join in, anytime! 

Enjoy the next stage!  

Shel

Edit:  Whoops, I see you are RNY, rather than VSG (I was confused!)  Anyway, happy maintenance! 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Heavens2Betsy
on 1/22/16 7:58 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

Thanks for posting your story!  It is so encouraging and you look amazing!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

RevTeresa
on 1/22/16 8:52 pm

You look amazing. Thanks for the info....it's encouraging to see someone else have success.

mschwab
on 1/22/16 9:01 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

Lovely thought. Thank you so much for sharing. You look amazing, and happy. Beautiful. 

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

NYMom222
on 1/22/16 9:14 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Great job! Learning things along the way is important.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

thallnc
on 1/23/16 3:48 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

Awesome post and AWESOME job on your journey!!! Keep up the good work with your maintenance.

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

Grim_Traveller
on 1/23/16 4:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Thanks for sharing. You've done an amazing job.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.