Starbucks: An entire day's worth of calories and 22 teaspoons of sugar before 7AM!

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 1/21/16 9:48 pm, edited 1/22/16 4:54 am
RNY on 03/11/15

I am currently trying to stay below 900 calories a day.

This is not what I eat now, but just for fun, I entered the regular weekday breakfast from my pre-WLS days into MyFitnessPal: a Starbucks triple grande caramel macchiato and, not one, but two cinnamon morning buns (because they are really good... Who can stop at just one???) A whopping 970 calories and 70 grams of sugar!!! All before 7AM!

I am still a Starbucks addict, but now I get a short or tall latte with one Splenda. 100-150 calories and I count it as my breakfast.

I have been beating myself up a bit about these 100-150 latte calories and how I should cut them out all together, but now, seeing this difference in before and after habits makes me feel good that I am at least making a much, much better choice each day. (But, yeah, I may need to cut it out altogether at some point.)

Mary Gee
on 1/22/16 12:37 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Yikes!!  You should add "Starbucks" to your post title...because I know lots of people here still indulge in Starbucks, and have posted what they order now - and some of them sound delicious. Of course, the two buns did a lot of damage themselves.  You could also check out Eggface's Blog because she has a lot of delicious breakfast recipes - savory (egg bites) and sweet (muffins). She also has a special Starbucks treat that is WLS friendly. Perhaps you could separate the Starbucks and the muffins - make one breakfast, and one a morning snack, stretching the two out over the morning.  Eggface has loads of recipes on her site.  You do have to enter them into myfitnesspal's recipe section to get a breakdown of calories, carbs and protein for each recipe.

It's a continuing effort to plan meals/snacks and track them - but well worth the effort.  I check out the "What Are You Eating Today" threads under VSG and RNY boards - people post their daily menus and often link the recipes to the post.  I've gotten many ideas from those boards.

Good luck to you!

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 1/22/16 4:51 am
RNY on 03/11/15

Thanks Mary. To clarify, that is what I ate 10+ months ago, before WLS, not anymore. It was just eye opening to enter it into my fitness pal and see the damage I used to be doing to myself.

Steph Meat Hag
on 1/22/16 7:34 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Starbucks addict right here.  Grande latte and 3 petite vanilla bean scones.  So where did that get me? Back to fat town LOL.  I'm here to humbly admit I did gain all of my lap band weight back over 8 years and like many people I am looking for a revision.  While I've been working with the doctor I've taking off my blinders and been really looking at the foods I eat and why.  Without a long story about all the foods I'll just talk about Starbucks.

I started drinking their lattes in the morning for two reasons.  One I was having some constipation issues and I found out coffee for me is a great way to keep things going normal.  Then two I also realized that my band would open up and behave in the mornings that I had something warm.  So coffee is a pain in the butt to make the way I like it, all full of fat and sugar so every day Starbucks.

Over the last 3 years the weight really came back but looking closely that is when I got married and we set up new routines and such.  Not all of my weight happened because of Starbucks but I know it was a major factor for me because I'm a sugar addict.  Starting my morning off with a latte and scones just awakens the beast inside.

As I move forward I have seriously considered stopping sugar all together.  I am in the starting stages of self discovery about my weight issues and I know for me sugar is a major issue.  

With that said, Starbucks makes a lot of people feel normal it's something a lot of people do every morning.  Hell I have stock in the company because I know how addicting it can be and how socially powerful it is carrying around their cups of morning brew.  So if you've made peace in your diet for it then that might be the thing that keeps you committed to your diet.  However if you want off of it you can always buy one of their plastic cups which look just like their paper ones and head into work with it full of water and eat yourself something else you enjoy for 150 calories 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

hollykim
on 1/22/16 1:04 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 22, 2016 at 3:34 PM Pacific Time, YellowTJ wrote:

Starbucks addict right here.  Grande latte and 3 petite vanilla bean scones.  So where did that get me? Back to fat town LOL.  I'm here to humbly admit I did gain all of my lap band weight back over 8 years and like many people I am looking for a revision.  While I've been working with the doctor I've taking off my blinders and been really looking at the foods I eat and why.  Without a long story about all the foods I'll just talk about Starbucks.

I started drinking their lattes in the morning for two reasons.  One I was having some constipation issues and I found out coffee for me is a great way to keep things going normal.  Then two I also realized that my band would open up and behave in the mornings that I had something warm.  So coffee is a pain in the butt to make the way I like it, all full of fat and sugar so every day Starbucks.

Over the last 3 years the weight really came back but looking closely that is when I got married and we set up new routines and such.  Not all of my weight happened because of Starbucks but I know it was a major factor for me because I'm a sugar addict.  Starting my morning off with a latte and scones just awakens the beast inside.

As I move forward I have seriously considered stopping sugar all together.  I am in the starting stages of self discovery about my weight issues and I know for me sugar is a major issue.  

With that said, Starbucks makes a lot of people feel normal it's something a lot of people do every morning.  Hell I have stock in the company because I know how addicting it can be and how socially powerful it is carrying around their cups of morning brew.  So if you've made peace in your diet for it then that might be the thing that keeps you committed to your diet.  However if you want off of it you can always buy one of their plastic cups which look just like their paper ones and head into work with it full of water and eat yourself something else you enjoy for 150 calories 

they also have plain coffee in those status symbol cups.

Shel25
on 1/22/16 7:43 am

Pretty impressive breakfast stats before WLS!  I have that sort of stuff in my background, too, of course!

I'm not criticizing your current Starbuck's drink - your plan, your calories. But, I will say that I was a person who hated regular coffee (even lattes) so I alway had to have a mocha (non-fat grand no whip) before WLS.  After WLS surgery I skipped coffee altogether for about 6 months because there was no point: I hate it, right?  

Anyway, I now drink their drip with 2 tablespoonsful of 1/2 and 1/2 per grande plus no-calorie sweetener (I carried a tablespoon with me to measure for a long time.) That makes it about 40 calories, all fat, I think.  Refills are only 55 cents!  (You have to tell them a refill because they don't know otherwise.)  

I was very surprised that I was happy with the drip.  Now I make it at home and at work and find a lot of pleasure in that ritual. At some point, you might give it a try if you are looking for lower calories options.

Thanks for the walk down pre WLS memory lane! 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

bruindiva92
on 1/22/16 9:55 am
Revision on 03/29/17

I am also a Starbucks addict also but I now limit myself to either decaf Pike Place coffee or iced coffee.  I bring my Premier Protein Vanilla drink as creamer and add Splenda or Equal.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/22/16 10:36 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I was also a huge (pun intended) Starbuck's drinker/eater before surgery. 

Even now, I am a "gold" member (I use the phone app) -- and I even make Starbuck's in my Keurig at home.    At home, I make Pike's or Verona with exactly 2 TBS of whole milk (18 calories).  At Starbuck's, I get 16 oz (in my own cup) Pike's or Verona and treat myself to two TBS of half and half (40 calories) --  I get free refills as a gold member.  I've been known to drink 3 while chatting with friends or working... however, if I drink more than 1, then I use whole milk for the other two.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Donna L.
on 1/22/16 12:52 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Yep, you're describing me too!

These days I go rarely.  I make mine at home now mostly (trying to save up for some big purchases), but when I do go I get a "fake" latte - I will get regular drip with skim milk or cream, and just get SF cinnamon dolce or SF vanilla syrup. Much lower in calories.  I also have a gold card, so in the summer I'll do my homework there and get unsweetened tea refills for a few hours.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

grandma52
on 1/22/16 3:36 pm
VSG on 01/07/16

Hi Starbucks, I feel you with your addiction. I am just 3 weeks in from having my surgery and I am on the pureed stage and I hate it. I was wondering if I am mashing foods to the point where I can swallow am I putting my stomach in danger. I am eating the yogurt, puddings, jello and some mashed potatoes, I have even tried the eggface lasagna and it was good. Please help anyone with any suggestions.