Cold weather cravings

Mishyk
on 1/19/16 5:42 pm
RNY on 01/06/16

Today marks 2 weeks since my RNY.  I have lost all my fluid weight plus a couple lbs since surgery.  I'm nursing an abdominal abscess, but otherwise doing well except the food cravings. I can distinguish between hunger and cravings and am doing well with that.  I get 70+ grams of protein per day and keep my fluids at or above 64 oz.   

Still, with this cold weather I want more than egg drop soup.   But it's that or clear broth.  Only other items I can have are.cold...protein shakes, SF jello and SF popscicles.   Snow is coming, the furnace is working overtime and I would love to have a hot bowl of chili, veggie beef,  or creamy tomato soup.  I am doing my best but goodness the want for something hearty and hot is so strong.   

Anyone else battling cold weather cravings?   Any advice from those more experienced than I?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/19/16 5:56 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

When I quit smoking, there were certain things that were triggers for me to want to smoke.  For example, when I talked on the phone, after eating, while drinking coffee and after sex.  Did I actually need a cigarette?  Of course not.  But, my mind sure wanted one.

For me, one of the greatest challenges I face in dealing with my addiction to food, is recognizing emotional hunger and triggers.  From what you are describing, the cold weather is a trigger for you.  Do you need egg drop soup, chili, etc?  Of course not.  But your mind and emotions want it.  

The good news is that you already recognize the cravings for what they are. My best advice is to examine what feelings and emotions are underneath that desire -- and to work on how to handle them and build a healthy relationship with food during your honeymoon period.  

You got this!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Big_blue_eyes
on 1/19/16 6:18 pm - Canada

Hi, have you tried warming up a chocolate protein shake. I've tried hard to reduce the amount of coffee that I drink and I found that heating a chocolate premier protein shake has helped. Drinking tazo wild orange tea might help too. Hope you find something that works for you.

peachpie
on 1/19/16 7:30 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

At two weeks out I don't think you have many options. I couldn't tolerate canned broth. I ended up going to Panera/au bon pain and buying the broth from their chicken soup. It was a much heartier flavor then canned or boxed broth. 

Your post is timely since I was craving something warm after the gym tonight (I usually have a sf ice pop..too cold for that). I opted to buy a box of light hot chocolate.  I enjoyed it and it satisfied my craving, but my stomach is carrying on something awful... That box may never see light of day again. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

NYMom222
on 1/19/16 9:24 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I was also going to say herbal tea and you can warm the premier protein to make it hot chocolate. I find it very satisfying. 

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save