Fear of complications

MerryMisty
on 1/19/16 7:32 am
RNY on 02/01/16

I have RNY surgery scheduled for Feb. 1st. I am 70 yrs old and in general good health and exercise frequently. I weigh 218lbs.  but have had an ongoing battle with reflux. which results in coughing ,runny nose , and sore throat. i have been on all kinds of med to control. it happens sporadically but lasts for weeks when i have an episode.

The GI doc suggested the bariatric surgery when i asked him if there was a surgery to stop this constant problem,

thus i have qualified for the surgery. i am most concerned about complications from the surgery with damage to my teeth , gall stones, anemia. fatigue etc .i am close to cancelling the surgery but wonder if any one else has a similar issue. of course i would be thrilled to lose the weight that i have tried for so long to shed.

I have had problems with tooth decay in the past.. four implants and many root canals.

any thoughts will be most appreciated.

MerryMisty

peachpie
on 1/19/16 7:52 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

How tall are you? How much would you need to lose to be at a normal weight range? I have no experience with GERD prior to my RNY or after, so can't offer any insight.

Have they checked if you have a hernia that could be causing the GERD? If I were in your shoes-- I'd have the same reservations.

I went to the dentist yesterday and have 2 cavities- but I can't in any sense blame this on my RNY. I've been told for a while about some cavities, but different dentists I see always give me a different # of cavities they feel need to be treated. 

Keeping up on your vitamins/supplements should keep the playing field level. have you discussed what this could mean for you with your dentist? 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

MerryMisty
on 1/19/16 7:59 am
RNY on 02/01/16

Thank you so much Peach. I do have a hernia. you asked some good questions.. i have a lot of weight to lose. Before the idea of the RNY i had given up hope of ever losing the weight. I am 5'4inches tall.

i thought i could use some ideas from this web site and some inspiration from brave people like you who have gone through the surgery to help me once again try to lose weight. I will call my dentist but i am almost sure he will be against the surgery but you never know. Thanks for caring and i will let you know what he says.

Merry Misty

peachpie
on 1/19/16 9:15 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Have they considered simply trying to repair the hernia to see if alleviates the GERD? RNY will certainly help you lose the weight-- Your initial post didn't come across as really wanting to lose weight-- but more so to resolve the GERD. 

Remember, you aren't asking your dentist's permission to have surgery-- you are asking him to help you develop a careful plan to monitor the health of your teeth/gums post-op, in light of your dental history. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

White Dove
on 1/19/16 7:59 am - Warren, OH

You should avoid most complications by following your food plan, taking your supplements and getting regular lab work.  I was 59 and long past menopause so was advised not to take iron supplements.  After five years my iron dropped and I now take two tablets a day which has restored iron and ferritin to normal levels.

I go to the dentist twice a year and have had one root canal since surgery in 2007.  I had an issue with fatigue a few years back.  It was dehydration from working outside in the hot sun without enough water.  I am careful not to regain weight.  I have my gallbladder and no issues with it yet.

Getting rid of the weight and the GERD seems like a great benefit for the payment of taking vitamins, eating properly and drinking water.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/19/16 10:04 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am not the same age, but I have had no complications from my RNY other than "curing" any and all co-moridities.  I also do not have any GERD symptoms.  I have never had a cavity and continue to have excellent dental health.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Ashley in Belgium
on 1/19/16 1:56 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Welcome!  I think you might benefit from sharing with a great group her on OH called the lightweights.  It is for folks with a lower BMI range and the gals who are regulars there are of a similar age and have lots of great experience to share.  Check it out:  Light Weights

My acid reflux was cured with my revision to RNY.  And if you are diligent with your labs and supplements I don't see why you would have complications.  I had my gallbladder out at age 24 so I can't speak to that.  Making sure that you have a PCP that is current on bariatric patient needs can be extremely helpful.  

We are here to help too!  Eat well, take your supplements and give your self the time it takes to heal after surgery.  You will have so many benefits health wise that it should outweigh potential problems you might have in the future.  

Good luck!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

MerryMisty
on 1/20/16 8:34 am
RNY on 02/01/16

Thank you ashley.. i appreciate the support.

Merry Misty