Dental Problems

Brenda T.
on 1/19/16 7:50 pm - VA

I have never had a cavity until I got my surgery in 2005. Now when I go to the dentist, I always have not one but multiple cavities. Just today I was informed that I have 13 cavities and in need of two crowns. Is anyone else experiencing issues with their teeth? I was never told that his was a possible side effect from the surgery. 

~Physical strength is measured by what we can carry; spiritual by what we can bear.~

White Dove
on 1/19/16 8:13 pm - Warren, OH

Are you seeing a different dentist?   Some dentists want to fill any tiny mark on a tooth.  If a dentist told me I had 13 cavities, I would be getting a second opinion.  If you are talking replacement crowns, they do wear out after about 20 years.

I am going on nine years and have had two fillings and both were replacements.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Brenda T.
on 1/19/16 8:32 pm - VA

Same dentist I have been going to for years. The crowns will be the first time getting those. After telling me my out of pocket expense would be 7018.00 you betcha I'm going for a second opinion.

~Physical strength is measured by what we can carry; spiritual by what we can bear.~

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/20/16 11:42 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Crowns are RIDICULOUS! I have 3 and a bridge, owwww.

If you do end up needing them (and yeah, second opinion sounds good), you may want to check into universities near you with dental schools. They often run public clinics since the folks doing their DDM's need experience, and the costs are way lower.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/23/16 8:25 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

If all that work is needed, you should be able to spread it out so you can use multiple years of insurance.

Sharon

SkinnyScientist
on 1/20/16 9:35 am

This!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/16 8:36 pm

I have heard of people having dental issues after WLS. However my daughter who is a hygienist says if you take good quality bio-available supplements your chances of these issues are greatly diminished. That and of course keep up with your cleaning, flossing etc. Sorry you are having such a hard time. I have had a lot of dental work and it is dreadfully expensive.

HKT53
on 1/20/16 12:49 am - Toronto, Canada

If you are vomitting or even just builing up acid in your pouch, you will be wearing off enamel on your teeth and experience more cavities. Try to limit acidic foods too. Once your protective enamel is worn down, cavities will arise. Brushing more often particularly after your meals but for sure before you go to sleep will help tremendously. I experienced this damage with my previous VSG... I am hoping my revision to RNY would stop this acid build up but I see you have RNY so I can only ask if you have a high acidic level in your siliva. There are mouthwashes out that help this problem. 

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

SkinnyScientist
on 1/20/16 9:16 am

My dentist says we dont get any more tooth issues than the rest of the population UNLESS we have "acid"/reflux issues AFTER the surgery. It is surgically caused reflux/acid/puking that causes issue with the teeth.

I would like to note: I believe the assumption she made was that we are taking our calcium supplements as needed.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/20/16 9:27 am
RNY on 12/31/13

My surgeon told me almost exactly the same thing -- barring a calcium deficiency or pre-exising dental issues -- he told me surgery should not affect my teeth.  He also said that reflux and or vomiting is the usual cause of decay.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat