VSG Cost & Insurance

Stacy E.
on 1/18/16 4:59 pm

Does the cost of surgery depends on where you go or the insurance you carry? If so does anyone knows how much vsg would cost at a general hospital with United Healthcare Plus?

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/16 5:15 pm - CA

Cost will depend on what surgeon/hospital you choose.  However, if your surgeon and hospital are both contracted with your insurance carrier, then they have agreed to take that contracted amount or the allowable amount.  You will stillll be responsible to pay your 20% (or whatever your copay is) of that allowable amount.    

I hope this is helpful!

Nik

Stacy E.
on 1/19/16 1:32 am

Great, thank you.

Deanna798
on 1/19/16 2:26 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I had RNY, but I have UHC plus though my husbands employer. Every policy is different, but I would verify that WLS is covered through your policy. And then check your maximum out of pocket cost for the policy. My max out of pocket was $6600, so that's how much I had to pay for the whole process. But the doctor billed my insurance just less than $10k for his part of the surgery, and the hospital billed $24k for my 2 day stay. Those prices are before the negotiated discount. 

Hope that helps. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

CMR1075
on 1/19/16 7:28 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Definitely depends on the insurance as they all are different. My Dr's office actually billed my insurance only for the hiatal hernia repair and not the sleeve even though he did both on the same day. At his office you have the option to do an endoscope to see if you have a hiatal hernia prior to surgery and if you do, you don't have to wait months to have surgery or jumping through hoops for approval. His logic is that he has to repair the hernia anyway while he is doing the gastric surgery so it's his loophole around making patients wait forever for an approval, throwing in the other procedure for free. There are others that do not elect to have the endoscope done and will go through the procedure of getting approval from the insurance company, come to find out they have the hernia and the Dr repairs it at no cost while he is doing the gastric procedure. I thought the whole thing was a little sketchy at first seeing as I had no idea what a hiatal hernia was, but one I got home and researched it, I understood (plus I haven't had a bought of acid reflux since the day of my surgery a few days ago!!!). Another great thing is for some reason...and I am not complaining...he offers a charity on the hiatal hernia surgery. Since I am not married yet and file my taxes as a single mother, I was was entitled to 85% off the cost of my surgery based off my income. So all I had to do was meet the rest of my deductible for the year, which was $1029 and then pay the surgical center $896.