Upon further review....

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/16 8:02 am, edited 1/6/16 9:09 am

I hate it when someone posts some enigmatic poem, and refuses to explain the big 'secret'. So, here's why "off she goes" showed up here.

I have a daughter whose growing up too, too fast. There's a boy in her life now, and for the first time in her life, she cares about another male, more than her father. It's very hard for me to deal with. He's not a good person to her.

Let's put it this way, when he's here visiting, I stay ten feet away from my gun safe, for fear of what I may do.lol This is the main source of the depression I've written about previously. And it's something I've never encountered before....

Anyway, thanks for understanding. it's most likely me just being selfish or something. I care so much about things I can no longer control. I used to deal with this stuff differently than I do now. I'm trying to wal****il my legs fall off.

White Dove
on 1/6/16 8:27 am - Warren, OH

Your daughter is making her choice and that is hard to take.  When my son would bring home a girl I worked hard to find something to like about her.  Even if it was her fingernail polish.

Let her know that you will always be there for her and then let this go.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Quiltingnonnie
on 1/6/16 9:59 am

My daughter dated a guy I really really disliked. Many red flags. The more I tried to point things put the more she dug her heels in. So like the old saying goes keep your friends close enemies closer. So I decied to be his new best friend , she dumped him very soon after. Thank god!!! Besides we all have to kiss a few frogs before we find our prince. Have faith in the way you raised her. It will be alright.

Heavens2Betsy
on 1/6/16 10:06 am
RNY on 02/29/16

I hear ya!  My girl is almost 13 and thinks she's 30.  The absolute best thing I've been learning (thanks to my counselor) is how to listen intently when she talks.  I mean I have to be at her level, and accept every word she says as her truth.   I'm from the camp of lecturing and I can solve this for you, if you'll let me.  But, I'm learning that I just need to shut up about my opinions, ask her open ended questions to keep her thinking out loud and with that show my genuine interest in whatever it is that she's talking about and just try to trust that I'm raising her well enough to move forward safely.  It's so hard to trust and just love her as she is!  (esp. at those moments of "I know it all." and don't need you.)  Hang in there and just stay connected to her as best you can.  Counseling has help me so much with this!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

boxtop2006
on 1/6/16 10:09 am
RNY on 03/24/15

I know this feeling a little to well.  I was a single mom for most of my oldest daughters life, I think this is also why we became so close.  All through high school I liked the boys she brought around.  Then high school ended and she met a Soldier, I liked that he was a Soldier and making a living (being a man).  What I didn't like is the way he treated her!  Guess what, 3yrs ago she married him!!!  He go out of the military 1yr after they married, he had big plans!  Yep, those big plans didn't go far, he ended up with no job.  Who do you think they moved in with, that's right, me.  I had to bite my tongue and sometimes I didn't bite hard enough and spoke when I shouldn't.  In order for them to both have jobs they had to move from AZ to WI.  Broke me heart, I just knew my baby girl would be back but deep down I really hoped he'd just grow up.  I didn't want to see my daughter hurt and divorced.  3yrs they've been married and I'm proud to say, he must have grown up because she's still with him.  I do better these days on keeping my mouth shut, all that matters in the long run is that my baby girl is happy!  Hope you are able to get past this, it is hard but you have to trust that you raised her right and she knows how she's supposed to be treated. :)

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/6/16 1:39 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I was very close to my father.  

In fact, I can honestly say that when he died, it was the most poignant loss in my life.  I miss him in way that I can hardly put into words.

That day was August 22, 2009.  

It's also the day my childhood ended.

My father believed in me always.  He was my greatest fan, best support and truly my hero.  Even now, all these years later, I weep as I write this.

Yet, when I was a teenager, the more my dad disliked a boy I brought home, the more desirable he was. Looking back, I can laugh at the absurdity of some of them -- and cringe at others.  Yet, the boys I dated were all learning experiences and practice.  Each of them taught me more about what was important for me in a mate, what wasn't as important as I had originally thought, and what things were deal-breakers.  My father called those things "fatal flaws" -- things that no matter how much you love the person, cannot be overcome.  One of my father's greatest words of wisdom to me came after my first real broken heart.  He said, "If you cannot live without a person -- then you cannot live with them."  

Not sure if it helps, but I am married to the love of my life and best friend.  Together for 18 years this month,  I was ready and sure when he came into my life because I had enough life experience and wisdom by that time to know what was really important to me.  That experience came because my father trusted me to navigate myself to what was best for me.

My father loved my husband very much.  In fact, before my father's sudden and unexpected death he told me that one of the greatest comforts to him was knowing that I had really found a spouse that loved and cherished me -- and that he felt secure that I would be okay when he one day was gone.  He died a month later.

Being an involved and loving father is one of the greatest insurance policies that your daughter will choose well.  You are her first experience with male love.  Trust her.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Grim_Traveller
on 1/6/16 5:15 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/16 6:01 pm

That's BEAUTIFUL Kat! I strive to be that person to both my kids. Your Father sounded like a good man. I wish I'd known my Dad. He died in Vietnam. I sometimes do not know what in the hell I'm doing as a Father.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/7/16 12:28 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Those are good looking kids. I'm going to assume they aren't yours.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/16 12:48 pm

Thanks Grim, they get their looks from their Mother. And I've tried to get my wife to the Maury show for years, to no avail. Hmmmm