New and finally talking about my weight in public

Chelsey1127
on 1/5/16 9:27 pm

Well I'm finally ready to join a group and talk about my weight. Outside of my immediate family, no one knows I'm in the process of getting this surgery set and completed. I've never been one to talk about myself much and especially not my weight. My mother had the surgery and as did my grandmother. So I'm well versed with a lot of the processes but they had their surgeries 10+ yrs ago and things have changed.

ive always been afraid to ask others questions regarding their surgeries but from what I've seen/read on here already, it's a whole community out there to support one another.

im almost finished with my pre-op appts and then everything gets sent for approval. I'm scared as hell. I went through this entire process about 8yrs ago and got denied from my insurance at that time. Their reasoning: I didn't have a long enough history of being obese to qualify. I've been obese since I was 10, ranging anywhere from 50-200#s overweight over the span of my almost 30 yrs. I was devistated and heartbroken. It took me until this year to try again. ive already been approved by the psych dr and am just waiting on the dietician to clear me next week. Again, I am freaking out. I know it won't make things better or change things, just that put it in the stomach "what if I messed something up" mindset.

anyone else been in this situation before? Any advice?

Grim_Traveller
on 1/5/16 10:13 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Never be afraid to ask questions. There are people with a lot of experience, and a lot to offer. We were all in the same boat, so we understand.

Most of us looked into surgery and put it off for years, for various reasons. When we finally took that leap, we beat ourselves up for waiting so long. I think you're smart for doing this now. Health problems will start to add up as you get older. Getting rid of your excess weight now will save you a lot of agony down the road.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Chelsey1127
on 1/6/16 10:17 pm

Thank you!

YahyaBrown
on 1/5/16 11:16 pm

I'm right there with you. I haven't really told anyone about me doing this and I have completed the appointments needed to get a referral. I just discovered this whole community. I go Thursday to see my doctor and that's when she is going to try and put everything through and hopefully they do not make me jump through too many hoops. Did you have to do like weigh****chers or anything? 

Chelsey1127
on 1/6/16 10:19 pm

Oh good luck!!!! I've done weigh****chers in the past and it's worked to a point. They wanted to me to work on several small things as I already have a limited diet for other stomach issues. But I did start following the structure again when I started this process again as it helped me make better choices and portion control

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/16 5:12 am

Welcome Chelsea and Yahya. You are both headed in a wonderful direction and it will be so much easier with all the help that folks here will offer you.

I wish you luck Chelsea with getting your approval this time. I understand your upset last time and how long that weight has been till you were ready to try again. Different reason but I ended up waiting another 5 yrs after first wanting the surgery. Good luck to you as well Yahya. Ins approval keeps so many on tender hooks for so long. For others it was finding the money to self pay. This is something you have to be dedicated to in order to make it happen.

Keep asking questions and reading. Hopefully it will help with all those "freak out" feelings and you will learn that you are far from alone in being terrified. There are folks here that will openly say they were terrified till they put them to sleep in the OR but they are so glad they did it.

Chelsey1127
on 1/6/16 10:20 pm

Thank you!!!!

TeashaLorna
on 1/6/16 5:43 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Welcome - Obesity Help and it's various forums and groups are a great place for all your questions. We all have been there and the only way we get to keep what we have is to share our journey - for me it helps me remember where I came from and how hard I worked to get to where I am. And there were people there and still are people there for me to help guide and pick me up when I need it.

I was not in your particular situation, I was rejected and would never have gotten approval in Canada unless I wanted to wait years and years and at 56 I did'nt think that prudent so I self paid and went to Mexico. Best decision of my life!

So welcome and ask away!

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Chelsey1127
on 1/6/16 10:20 pm

Thank you!!!!

Heavens2Betsy
on 1/6/16 9:51 am
RNY on 02/29/16

Welcome!  I'm in a similar situation and I'm not telling people either.  I haven't tried this before, and I don't have any relatives who have gone thru it, but I'm waiting to hear back from the insurance and it's making me nervous too.  There's a lot of good support here and I'm learning to ask my questions here - even the dumb ones, and I get great answers from many!  Good luck!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)