Gelatin and Collagen

Lady2This
on 1/7/16 4:17 am - NC

Has anyone tried gelatin/collagen? If so could you please give me your feedback on it. I read so many great benefits about this product. Is it safe you RNY patients? 5 years out.

White Dove
on 1/7/16 5:05 am - Warren, OH

It is Jello and has about two grams of protein per cup.  It is not a protein that we absorb well. 

At five years out, you need to get your protein from the food you eat.  Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, and beans are our main sources.  

Right after surgery when it is not yet possible to eat enough protein in food, protein supplements are used.  The best and easiest absorbed for RNY is whey protein isolate.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Lady2This
on 1/14/16 3:02 am - NC

Thanks could you please recommend a good protein shake.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/7/16 5:35 am

Gelatin and collagen are special proteins. They are not complete enough for our muscles but are great for our skin or joins. 

We don't really know how much we absorb them, but sinccevthey have a very low bioavailability index - many people assume that this is due to lack of absorbtion. The low bioavailability is most likely due to them not providing complete protein spectrum. 

We should not treat them as source of proteins count into the min daily requirements, but as a great supplement for nails, hair, joints. 

I do notice a difference in my nails when I use more of gelatin.. 

But - if I were you I would be careful about the source and they way they are "served"..the hipe about them created a whole market of "the best ..the great". I use regular, as natural as possible, unflavored proteins that I add to some of my drinks - food, or make my own, supper dense gelatin snacks. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."