Ugh....some people!

CMR1075
on 1/13/16 8:16 am
VSG on 01/15/16

So.......does anyone else have the problem of people judging them about the surgery before hand. I haven't told many about the surgery I'm scheduled for but the ones I have told seem to think I am stupid. I am already tired of hearing people tell me "you are going to have to work out because your skin is gonna be gross". Really? How do they know my skin will be flabby and gross? Is there a WLS handbook that says everyone will automatically have saggy skin after surgery? While there is a large percentage that does and I am prepared for the saggy skin issues...I don't think I need to be reminded of it daily. Yes I know I need to work out, not just for the skin issue but for my health. Worse comes to worse, if my stomach isn't able to tighten up I'll save for a tummy tuck...just like I saved for the sleeve. Ugh...some people! Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest!

Maria27
on 1/13/16 8:31 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

This is why I didn't tell people before surgery. After surgery it is more difficult for them to be so negative because it's already done, but it still happens sometimes. As for the skin, people have a misconception that it is caused by wls, but really it is just caused by losing a lot of weight no matter how you lose it. My response to that one is that I am not going to stay fat just to fill out my skin. How stupid. I would rather have lose skin than skin filled with fat. The skin is easy to hide, but everyone can see the fat. I hope your surgery goes well! They will be eating their words when you weigh less than them.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/16 8:34 am

I would encourage you to look into the concept of 'johari's window'. It will show that we show people things about ourselves through means other than verbally. The four windows into our soul include 1.what we know about ourselves, that NO ONE else will ever know. 2. what others know about us, that we cannot see ourselves. 3. what you and everyone else know about you. 4. What you and no one else knows about you.

I know that here, people are used to being judged also. But it struck me as funny that, in a post that was judging people for being judging and then judged by me as being funny.

The point (FINALLY) is. social media IS a vehicle for judgement. Be like the great Mallard Duck. Let it wash right over you. Is what I did.

And with that, I will show myself out, before the storm hits.

CMR1075
on 1/13/16 8:53 am
VSG on 01/15/16

I do need to let it wash right over me like you say. I get too emotional at times when I feel like people are judging my decision to live a healthier life. Sometimes I want to say to them so what if I have loose skin. At least I wont be pre diabetic, have high blood pressure, red marks all over my legs because of poor circulation, and hopefully get rid of the awful gerd I have. I wish some people would see it that way but all they see is the physical side of it. 

MassHockey
on 1/13/16 4:14 pm

Lol....a quote from my favorite artist, Mr Todd Snider: "judge the judgemental, then what am I?" 

White Dove
on 1/13/16 8:40 am - Warren, OH

The general perception that at least 99% of the world shares is that weight loss surgery is for people who are too lazy and stupid to just control their weight by diet and exercise.

I don't care what they think and just laugh and agree when they tell me that I took the easy way out.  I say that the hard way was not working for me, so I just got surgery instead.  I don't tell them how hard I worked out, how hard it is to stick to the diet, how many problems I have had with digestive and bathroom issues.

I don't tell them that I paid for and had a tummy tuck.  I just smile and strut around in my size 4 jeans and let them think it is easy.

I will tell you that I was 59 years old having surgery and that the only loose skin was a flap on my tummy.  I got on the treadmill the day I came home from the hospital and worked out every day since.  I wear a fitness tracker, I weigh and measure my food and drink, I weigh myself daily, I use skin tightening creams and exfoliate my skin regularly.  I take my vitamins and get lab work on time.

I don't even tell them that I miss bread, cookies, cake, potatoes, chips, candy, noodles and pastas.

At 67 I look and feel years younger.  It is not easy by any means, but it is worth it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CMR1075
on 1/13/16 8:48 am
VSG on 01/15/16

I would have never have guess you were in your sixties...looking good White Dove!!!! Thanks for what you wrote. I guess I need to just stop caring what other think and let the negative comments roll off like you and Gary mentioned. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/16 9:41 am

Grim has told me how great you look in a bikini............waiting.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/13/16 10:25 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It was a one-piece. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

robinreinhardt
on 1/14/16 11:19 am

White Dove,

You are my hero and you look amazing. Congratulations on your size 4.

Robin