Gastroparesis and gastric bypass

dlpugs01
on 1/10/16 1:46 pm
RNY on 06/06/12

Hello

I had gastric bypass almost 4 years ago. I met my goal of 100 pounds after 1 year. However I also have diabetes of 35 years and have developed gastroparesis I am not sure if this is related to my gastric bypass or not but I am now unable to stop loosing weight. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has also had this problem and has also developed gastroparesis. I am very glad I had the surgery and would not have changed anything. I had the RNY surgery. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/16 3:51 pm

I haven't researched to see if there is a relationship between WLS and gastroparesis but I do know that diabetes can cause it. Then again so can other things. My daughter has it (not diabetic) and unlike you everything gets totally blocked up and she has gained weight. Hope you do not loose too much and are not in too much pain.

MAchick
on 1/10/16 4:46 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I'm not site I'd the rny part, but I have had several patients with gastroparesis as a result of their diabetes. What does your doctor say? 

Hambear
on 1/11/16 2:48 am - Millsboro, DE

I had RNY 4/5/05. I am diabetic. Lost 120 lbs but gained about 50 back. My diabetes went away for about 5 years but came back when I gained back weight.  What is gastroparesis  ?

Tracy D.
on 1/11/16 1:19 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Gastroparesis is when the stomach can't empty itself in the normal way, usually due to damage from the vagus nerve.  One of the primary causes of this is diabetes.  

My 2-year old granddaughter has this due to a vagus nerve injury from a surgery she had as an infant.  It causes constant reflux and vomiting on her part.  Most children with this, and some adults, will need feeding tubes. 

It sucks.  To the original poster, whatever the reason you have this (and it wouldn't be due to gastric bypass), I'm sincerely sorry.  It sucks big time! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Hambear
on 1/11/16 3:39 pm - Millsboro, DE

Thanks for the info.  See you lighter. Joanne

Hislady
on 1/11/16 5:58 pm - Vancouver, WA

Many of us who had lap bands now have gastroparesis from vagus nerve damage, it is a really horrid thing. I wouldn't wi**** on my worst enemy!

Tracy D.
on 1/12/16 10:31 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

How do you handle this??? 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Hislady
on 1/12/16 4:49 pm - Vancouver, WA

I have to eat small portions all day long (kinda borders on grazing, but have to eat that way) chew really well, eat slow lots of the things we are supposed to do anyway. I still get lots of pain if I'm not super careful. I have also found that taking probiotics help the digestion in the intestines and of course extremely low carb because they cause all kinds of gas. There are times when even if I do every thing perfectly it still hurts but that's just how it goes. I haven't had nausea or vomitting with it tho just pain and gas.

dlpugs01
on 1/14/16 7:51 am
RNY on 06/06/12

Thanks so much. Grazing is the key. I have even had to resort to baby food. As awed up as this may sound to some people. Add salt it isn't that bad it is just already puréed food and I put it in the food processor.   By the way I LOVE THIS SITE. so much support and people and information here!