Courting disaster

lotusgyrl
on 1/12/16 5:56 pm - Canada
Thank you for your thoughtful post!! And it is such a good reminder it is a daily observance.
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/16 6:38 pm

You're welcome.

jeterway
on 1/13/16 6:23 am

The good thing is that right after the surgery, the desire to eat diminishes substantially.  We are also rewarded with the rapid weight loss.  This cycle give us the positive reinforcement that we need to keep this lifestyle change heading in the right direction.  It is during this time that we must make sure that we have developed an understanding of how our relationship with food works so that when we get near the end of the honeymoon phase and the weight loss slows down, we can continue to have a healthy relationship with food.  At about the one year mark, those cravings start to come back and that battle becomes very real.  The rapid weight loss is gone, so that immediate reward is much more elusive.  The problem is that we have to eat to live so the temptation is forever there.  We have to find a way to sustain that healthy relationship with food.

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/16 11:56 am

That is so true for most of us. I wonder, does anyone get out alive?

jeterway
on 1/14/16 5:32 am

Well there are lots of vets on this website that are quite successful.  They live the new lifestyle every day.  I am six years out myself but some days are quite the struggle.  Once you decide that this is your choice, you have to work to form those new habits so that it becomes routine and eating the old way becomes obsolete.  There is no eating the old way but in moderation.  Folks think that will work because during the honeymoon period you still continue to lose weight.  That is merely due to the limited amount of food you are consuming.  But eating the old way just feeds those cravings.  So take this time to really study your relationship with food and find a solution that you can live with for the rest of your life.

Deanna798
on 1/13/16 9:39 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I really need to make a point to get to the general forums more often, I get so wrapped up in the RNY forums I miss awesome posts like these.

I had this thought last Saturday.  I was on my way to visit an old friend and was driving by the neighborhood where I grew up.  I noticed that as I got off of the freeway and drove down the main road, I passed AT LEAST 8 fast food restaurants in less than a mile.  That doesn't include sit down restaurants, which there are at least as many. This is a residental neighborhood with no major shopping available, so it's not like at the mall or anything.  It was an OMG moment for me.  Having RNY has made start to THINK again, instead of just mindlessly following my base desires.  I have taken back myself.  

So, what I'm saying is that I get where you are coming from.  I believe that the food has power, IF you give it the power.  You can choose to take that power away from the food, and the people who pu**** on us, but it takes so much willpower that it's frightening.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/16 11:58 am

I'm lucky to be in an oxygen rich environment.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/13/16 12:53 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Sorry. From the post title, "Courting Disaster," I thought someone was proposing to my ex.

Never mind.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Deanna798
on 1/13/16 1:15 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

My first thought was that he tried to get romantical with his wife and there was a disaster... 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/16 1:38 pm

you'll always be a 'cunning linguist' to me Grim.(smiling emoji)