Vsg surgery in Canada; where????

BodaciousB
on 1/5/16 2:00 pm - St.Johns , NL

I have been considering the vsg surgery for 9 months and researching it for the last two months. I have to say that it has proven very difficult and nearly impossible to turn up any information about this surgery in Canada. From just googling it, I only managed to find one; Smart Shape in Ontario (which quoted me for a whopping $19000). I have also asked my physician for help in regards to finding a surgeon here in Canada and he didn't have any knowledge-at all! 

Because of my difficulties here in Canada, I am considering having my surgery done in Mexico at the obesity control centre with Dr. Ariel Ortiz; he and the centre come highly recommended. I am comfortable with surgery itself but am scared to death of travelling to Tijuana across the US/Mexico border. The Canadian government has issued a travel advisory to avoid crossing land borders into Mexico as it is very dangerous. They say that if travelling to Mexico, to arrive by plane. 

My plan while in Mexico is to not venture outside-at all; only from vehicle to centre or hotel. My fear of being in and travelling to Mexico paralyses me, and I stops me from booking it. 

Does anyone have any advice on the Mexico situation or suggestions of places in Canada to have the surgery done that won't cost $19000??? 

Thanks in advance.

BB 

TrulyPhoenix
on 1/5/16 4:11 pm - Calgary, Canada

Hi BB, 

I'm surprised you even found a private clinic in Ontario that offers vsg!  In Canada you usually can only pay out of pocket to have the lap-band, if you want one of the other surgeries then it's done through provincial healthcare.  

From what I've found for Newfoundland, your family doctor needs to send a referral to one of the designated bariatric clinics through Eastern Health.  As long as you meet the qualifications for surgery, it's covered by provincial healthcare.  

You could probably call Eastern Health yourself to get more info on their program and what the wait times are like.  Your physician should be able to do this for you though! Sounds like he was brushing you off by saying he didn't have knowledge of a surgeon, you may need to push him on this subject as he should certainly have the contacts within Eastern Health to find out where to refer you!

Best of luck!

Phoenix

Weightoffmyfeet
on 1/5/16 4:56 pm, edited 1/5/16 8:58 am - Canada

BodaciousB,

Ontario has the Ontario Bariatric Network  http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/ which starts with a referral from your doctor. If you are not in Ontario you might try contacting them anyway to see if other provinces have similar plans. I don't have to pay because I'm live in Ontario.

Here's another link that may help http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/bariatric-surgery-canada.html

Sue

Sue

"I'm not there yet but I'm closer than I used to be"

Height 5'3, HW:315 (10/12/15), BMI 55.7

Orientation (12/04/15), W:312, BMI 55.2

roxytrim
on 1/5/16 5:01 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

I do believe there is a very good clinic in Montreal where many of the bariatric surgeons practicing in Ontario (where it is covered by our provincial health plan) were trained.

Something to be aware of is that most physicians will not deal with people if they have post surgical complications because they did not perform the surgery.

If you post this question on the Ontario forum, I'm sure someone will give you some good information.

roxytrim
on 1/5/16 5:14 pm, edited 1/5/16 9:21 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Here is the Montreal clinic website, but I see the VSG costs $18,500, sounds like that is the standard in Canada.   

http://www.weightlosssurgery.ca/surgery-cost

califsleevin
on 1/5/16 9:23 pm - CA

ch

Another surgeon to investigate, also in Montreal, is Dr Michel Gagner. One of the factors I like to see with prospective VSG surgeons is experience with the duodenal switch. As the sleeve originated as a WLS as a part of the DS some 25+ years ago, docs such as Dr. Gagner who were "raised" in the DS world have by default been doing sleeves for much longer than their colleagues who were raised on the RNY and bands. From what I can see on his website, his quoted rates are somewhat friendlier than the numbers quoted above, starting in the 13-14k range.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/16 5:28 am

I had my surgery last July in Tijuana. Please do NOT be afraid of going to Mexico. If you book go through an agency. I went with Bariatric Pal and used one of their recommended surgeons. You will go through a special medical lane at customs, no fuss no wait in their transportation. The medical care was as good if not better than here in the US. After surgery I was walked all over Tijuana. Yes I walked all round that town. If you have a guide and stay out of the wrong places it is almost like being with family. Everyone knew the guide I was with and we nipped in and out of shops and churches, markets and restaurants. I felt no fear at all with this local man in his town. I had wonderful fresh broth and liquid yogurt the likes of which I have not found here. Everyone spoke perfect English. The trip to Mexico and back went smoothly though I did have a lay over during the night in Chicago.Be sure to take a rolling bag so you don't have to pick it up and take the absolute minimum you can. You will be perfectly safe. If you weren't medical tourism would not be a HUGE business in Mexico and you will come back ready to be healthier but medically and financially. It will cost you 1/4 - 1/3rd of what it would in Canada. I spent under $5,000.