Insurance!!!!! HELP please

sweetiemimi318
on 1/2/16 12:16 am - Irving, TX
RNY on 08/22/16

happy New year's everyone... I haven't posted in a long ttime because life took its toll on me. I have missed it here. Glad to be back. I have relocated since my last post and have an amazing job. So my question for you guys is this... I have an amazing new job which I started 6 months ago. My insurance will start in March of this year on the 1st and my policy states that it covers bariatric surgery. So how long do I need to have my insurance before I can go see a bariatric surgeon to get the ball back rolling? Just so excited I don't know what to do. The last time I went through this I ended up losing the job that had the insurance after I had did all of the visits, psych veal and everything. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated you guys! Thanks :-)

White Dove
on 1/2/16 5:07 am - Warren, OH

You can start the process as soon as you are insured.  Congratulations on the new job and on taking care of your health.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

AlanaHolt4
on 1/2/16 8:49 am

Yes! Would start everting when you get your insurance. You can callyour insurance to find out what your requirements are. With some you have to do 30 days nutritonal counseling some are 60 days. Good luck!!

mschwab
on 1/2/16 10:19 am
RNY on 11/21/14

As long as there is no waiting period, you should be able to start right away. Call the company though, and ask.  Also, ask for a copy of the criteria for WLS. Plans vary widely even in the same insurance company. Congrats and good luck!

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/2/16 10:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's important to be 100% sure how things will work with the insurance. It's a good idea to contact customer service and get things in writing, or to snag a copy of your benefit book (check online or ask HR) to be double-sure.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sweetiemimi318
on 1/2/16 2:14 pm - Irving, TX
RNY on 08/22/16

Thanks guys for all your insight. I have been looking into this surgery since 2002. I came close about 3 years ago and came to a standstill when I lost my job. So now I have a great job with great benefits with Aetna Comprehensive PPO. My benefit book said it's a covered benefit so I will call and check with the insurance company. I have waited for so long I hope it all works out. Will keep you guys posted and thanks once again :-)

Mary Gee
on 1/2/16 5:46 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Even though the insurance isn't in effect now, I would call the insurer to verify the coverage -- Some companies exclude wls from their policy with the insurer (like mine did).  Once coverage is confirmed, find out what their requirements are.  Many require a six month supervised diet....which you could start now.

I wish you the best...it took me several years to get the surgery too.  Well worth the wait!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

hollykim
on 1/2/16 8:17 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I don't think they will discuss it with someone who is not in their system yet. 

Bella_Fein
on 1/2/16 9:34 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

You shouldn't have to wait to have the initial visit. I would call your insurance and make sure you don't need a referral and that the doctor you are going to is in network with your plan. There may be a waiting period to have the surgery though. When you call them ask them if there is a waiting period. You may also ask if the medical policy requirements are available for you to view online. All insurance companies have medical requirements to have surgery. Most are pretty basic and most list the policy online so you can see it all yourself.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Tiki3211
on 1/3/16 8:59 am

I agree with Hollykim.....they probably won't discuss policy if you are not covered by the insurance.  You may have to wait until your policy is active, but I would start the ball rolling to find a surgeon, etc.  Although, my insurance, BCBS PPO, required that I only use a specific surgeon and facility.  They called it a Center of Excellence facility.  Good luck with all of this and on your journey.  YOU WILL LOVE IT!