If you could turn back time...

brenlee1965
on 1/3/16 12:08 pm - New Berlin, NY
I never had an addiction problem....I just made really bad food/drink/no exercise choices because of depression. Alcoholism is HUGE in my family, although, I have never felt the need to want to drink like a fish. I drink once in awhile, but it isn't something that I feel a great need for; that being said-----my sisters friend started drinking because her self-image was wrecked because of the saggy body and boob. She couldn't deal with it and felt like she was no longer viewed as attractive or sexy by her husband....so she started drinking & drinking and then started putting vodka in a water bottle & since everyone knew she needed to drink water all of the time----no one questioned her continual drinking. It was booze NO****er. She continues to lose weight and look tiny; but this BOOZE thing has caused HUGE problems. Try to start something new that interests you and maybe that will become your addiction & wouldn't it be awesome if it was exercise!
 Bren                
Roma
on 1/3/16 5:59 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Thanks for the reply. What a sad story about your sister's friend.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

RNY on 12/22/14

I am 1 year post-surgery.  Did not drink much before WLS, have not drunk alcohol since.  Why would I?  Why would you?  Why did you doctor clear you for it? Is he encouraging you?  Did you bring it up?  Mine never brought it up and neither did I.  

Alcohol was and is empty calories.  Get high on life.

Sharon

Roma
on 1/3/16 5:57 pm, edited 1/3/16 10:00 am
RNY on 06/15/15

Yes, my health care provider brought it up. No, I did not bring it up. Like you, I have never been a big drinker. Clearly I am considering it carefully, as I have requested people to provide advice before I decide what to do.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/4/16 3:05 am, edited 1/3/16 11:46 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Why not wait till you are at your goal weight?  They are empty calories - all carbs.  If you are being successful without, why rock the boat, if you don't need it?

Your post reminded me that I felt so much more sophisticated when I drink 'hibiscus wine" while I vacuum the house - I feel like some I'm in Mad Men.  Maybe silly on my part, but I like it and I get down more fluids and since my glass is small, I do not gulp. 

This is just hibiscus tea, cooled down.  No Alcohol.  No calories.  But makes me feel like I am having something special.

Sharon

gram247
on 1/6/16 3:41 am

I am 4 1/2 years post VSG. I didn't drink much before surgery and now I don't drink any alcohol. I lost my taste for it, and I previously enjoyed a glass of wine or an occasional ****tail. 

I found it takes up too much room in my small stomach and takes a long time to clear. It also goes right to my head! Even a small amount causes a hangover effect.

i was told mot to have any alcohol & I don't miss it. 

Good luck. 

funkyphillygirl
on 1/6/16 6:51 am

I am 4.5 years post RNY surgery and have had NO alcohol since about 6 months before surgery.  First and foremost, I am a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic, and alcohol wreaks havoc with my blood sugar.  Second, I did not want to deal with that, on top of a changed metabolic processing system.  So, I do not miss it and do not plan on returning to it at all for any reason.  I'm better without it.  I also gave up diet soda, which I miss much more than alcohol.

Good luck with your decision.

Paula Macomber
on 1/6/16 1:46 pm - Racine, WI

I had my 10-year anniversary on January 2nd.  If I could turn back time, I would NEVER take a drink of alcohol again.  First, my body does not handle any alcohol now they way it did before the WLS.  Now, I drink wine and the empty calories are horrible.  Please save yourself the hassle -- don't take the first drink.  I truly speak from experience.