If you could turn back time...

Laura in Texas
on 1/2/16 6:18 am

I had my first drink around 8 months post-op. I never drank more than 2 drinks and never drank more than once a month. About 18 months ago, I gave it up completely. With my rearranged anatomy, I am worried about the effects on my organs. I plan to be around for a long time so I want my organs to be as healthy as possible. For me, the risk was not worth it.

I have several close friends who also had RNY who drink a lot. I worry about them.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/2/16 7:47 am

Simple answer : Don't drink. At all. 

Plus.. Every time I start drinking more wine - I start gaining weight... Ugh.. 

So if anything else does not convince you - - if you want your weight loss to stall or stop... Wine or other alcohol will help with that.  And after the honeymoon- alcohol may contribute to weight gain.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 1/2/16 8:40 am

So true!! I guess vanity keeps me off alcohol, too. I like being at my goal weight.

Laura in Texas

mute
on 1/2/16 8:27 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I think it just depends on you. I wasn't really a drinker before WLS because of migraines. I'm only 9 months out and I've had a few glasses of white wine - maybe 5 or 6 total in the last 3 months. It's usually when I'm traveling with my friends or at a special occasion at a restaurant. But I could take it or leave it. When I do drink I'm conscious of how many calories I've had that day and I only have one glass. I'm fairly confident I won't have a problem with alcohol.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Laura in Texas
on 1/2/16 8:39 am

Be careful, Melinda. I don't think anyone who starts drinking thinks it will become a problem.

Laura in Texas

mute
on 1/2/16 8:45 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Very true! I don't keep wine in the house and when DH has brought it home for a celebration I've thrown it away because I know it will just go to waste. I'm aware it can become a problem after the surgery and I think that's important.

The Salty Hag
on 1/2/16 9:07 am
RNY on 05/20/13

The simplest answer is, of course, don't start now-or ever. If you are really struggling with the decision, I think that is an answer in itself to just skip the drinking. Like Grim said..no one NEEDS alcohol.

I honestly can't remember how long I waited to start drinking...LOL. I know that sounds bad; like I blacked out from it or something, but in truth...my memory just sucks.

I keep alcohol in my house. It doesn't tempt me. I don't feel its pull. It's there because I cook with it. I do enjoy a glass of wine once in a while. I mean like..once every few months. Wine kicks my ass, to be blunt. I no longer enjoy the feeling of being drunk, so I nurse a glass for a long time.

The few times I have had hard alcohol...I was a hot mess, so now I just avoid it completely. I actually made a video of myself after drinking vodka. It wasn't pretty.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Loser2542
on 1/2/16 9:42 am

Hah. I keep alcohol in my house because it moved in with me over 12 years ago, and I can't stand the thought of throwing it out. I might have a guest someday who wants a drink... I guess you can say it doesn't call my name like chocolate or nuts, which stay out of my house, would. I do tend to stay away from alcohol, and have for years even before my surgery because it gave me acid reflux. Now, I especially do not want to worry about acid, so I just don't drink.

HW: 388 SW: 240 CW: 172      Surgery Date 11/07/2014     VSG with Dr. Chengelis

Roma
on 1/2/16 12:42 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond! 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Maria27
on 1/3/16 9:47 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I will say that I do drin****asionally. I enjoy the taste of good liquor and wine, and my profession is known for drinking. I could not imagine never tasting a good wine or liquor again. But I drink really slow, and counting the calories keeps me in check. I can nurse one drink for hours. At events, I generally carry around the same drink for hours. That way I don't get out of control, but no one bothers me about not drinking. I also just accept a glass of wine with dinner, take a couple of sips before I start eating, and then just leave it there. No one ever seems to notice that I'm not actually drinking it. So I believe it is possible to drink after wls without it becoming a problem, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be extra cautious because that is not the case for everyone.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132