If you could turn back time...

Roma
on 1/1/16 9:42 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

I am 6 months post op RNY, and have just been cleared to drink. I've never had any problems with alcohol, however I've heard for some people it can become an issue after surgery. Some people have mentioned that alcoholism is an issue in our community.

My question for you: If you could turn back time, would you have had your first sip of alcohol post-wls? Or would you have never tried that first drink and been sober for life?

I am debating this personally, and really value all the opinions from people on this site. I've heard a few horror stories and am really struggling with the decision. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Eggface
on 1/2/16 2:41 am - Sunny Southern, CA

My experience with alcohol as a post op RNYer: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2012/06/life- after-weight-loss-surgery-q_27.html 

As an RNYer our new anatomy makes it more damaging... and those liquid cals (I'd rather use them up in cheese or avocados LOL) so I rarely have it now. I have a mini bottle of champagne in the fridge that never got opened yesterday... it's not a huge loss to me. I think the question most people have to ask themselves is why they are drinking...

habit
taste or enjoyment
how you define fun
self esteem/body image
peer expectations
culture/lifestyle
escape/alter state
social anxiety
lower inhibitions
transfer addiction
self sabotage

I'm sure there are more... anyway... understanding your why is important because a few of these are issues that need to be dealt with versus trying to drown 'em ;)

Be safe.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Roma
on 1/2/16 9:26 am
RNY on 06/15/15
On January 2, 2016 at 10:41 AM Pacific Time, Eggface wrote:

My experience with alcohol as a post op RNYer: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2012/06/life- after-weight-loss-surgery-q_27.html 

As an RNYer our new anatomy makes it more damaging... and those liquid cals (I'd rather use them up in cheese or avocados LOL) so I rarely have it now. I have a mini bottle of champagne in the fridge that never got opened yesterday... it's not a huge loss to me. I think the question most people have to ask themselves is why they are drinking...

habit
taste or enjoyment
how you define fun
self esteem/body image
peer expectations
culture/lifestyle
escape/alter state
social anxiety
lower inhibitions
transfer addiction
self sabotage

I'm sure there are more... anyway... understanding your why is important because a few of these are issues that need to be dealt with versus trying to drown 'em ;)

Be safe.

Thanks so much for this- Great blog post. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Eggface
on 1/2/16 2:45 am - Sunny Southern, CA

P.S. I have Cher stuck in my head now from your post title LOL 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/2/16 9:43 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 1/2/16 5:03 am - Warren, OH

At about two years out, I was working from home and added a small Pink Squirrel to my lunch.  I had a conference call at 1:00 PM and was embarrassingly drunk and giggling. 

I have drank small glasses of wine at parties a few times, but only if I am not going to drive.  I now have no alcohol at all in my house.  Drinking less than half of a glass makes me very lightheaded now.

I was never an alcoholic and could have the occasional margarita, wine, or other drinks with no problems.

Now one glass of wine makes me feel like I drank a whole bottle.  It would not bother me to never drink alcohol again. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 1/2/16 5:04 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I was never much of a drinker, and haven't touched a drop since surgery. If you can stop cold, do it. 

We all need to eat. But no one needs alcohol. Lots of bad things can happen. Any good that comes from it, you can accomplish by other means.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Roma
on 1/2/16 12:45 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Very true. I haven't had a drink since a year pre op, so over 1.5 years now. Not much of a point to start now. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/4/16 8:01 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On January 2, 2016 at 1:04 PM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller, Boy Hag wrote:

I was never much of a drinker, and haven't touched a drop since surgery. If you can stop cold, do it. 

We all need to eat. But no one needs alcohol. Lots of bad things can happen. Any good that comes from it, you can accomplish by other means.

If I could stand up and clap for this post, I would.  

Oh, and ditto.  

I have not had a sip since my surgery two years ago.  I can't for the life of me see a good reason to start now.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

roxytrim
on 1/2/16 6:17 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

I had decided before surgery that completely giving up alcohol was my choice.  I wanted to simplify my life as part of 'cleaning my nutritional house'.  What I have discovered is besides saving lots of money not buying hootch, that I can steer clear of that whole world of fine foods,wines & spirits.  I worked in the hospitality industry and know what kind of marketing pressure is being used - not unlike what the cigarette companies were doing decades ago.  It is so nice to leave all that behind.  Plus I have drunk some great libations in my day & there is always something else to try just around the corner, I'd rather get off of that treadmill.

Another benefit is I look at my decision as a piece of my former lifestyle I have given up in exchange for gaining my tool.  I've got to keep the deal....I am a woman of my word.

Good luck with your choice - you are smart to carefully think it through.