12 Days Post-Op -- Depressed - VSG Huge Mistake

Catek2652
on 12/27/15 4:20 pm
RNY on 10/26/15

Thanks for this. hormones being released out of the fat explains so much for me! Now to focus on burning off this last poundage hanging around my thighs, hips, ass and belly. It's weird that my face, arms, lower legs are all skinny...even my back is thinner....

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

ubserved
on 12/27/15 2:21 pm

Everyone has buyers regrets at some point. Right up until the rolled me into the OR, I was more than half tempted to bolt off that gurney and grab my clothes and make a break for it. I am almost 6 weeks post op and I feel great. It's not so much of what you need to eat to survive and be healthy, it's a matter that you have been eating such larger portions for so long, I mean I am sure you heard the same thing growing up, make sure you eat everything on your plate and don't waste food etc. It's now about restructuring your thought process. I eat about 3-4 oz. per meal more or less, three times a day plus a couple snacks (usually a protein shake) in between. There was a documentary years ago it showed the average size of a meal at McDonalds (personally I can't stand that place). It was a reg cheeseburger, what would now be called a small fries and a 12 - 16 oz soda. Now it's a huge burger, xl fries, and 40 oz soda and we wonder why as a society are fat. It's because that's what we grew up on. In a manner of speaking, it's like brainwashing, if you hear it enough, are fed it enough, it becomes normal. Now it's time to get a new normal. It's a matter of keeping your eyes on the prize. I know how you feel, I would love a nice big bowl of salad, with some tomatoes, sliced beets and mushrooms and olives and some italian dressing, and in a couple more weeks I am good to go for it, granted on a smaller scale. My brother had the RNY 13 years ago, prior to my surgery and soon again, we go out to eat, he'll eat some soup or salad, a bit of his entree and gets a to go box and usually has at least 1-2 meals out of it later, he's a chef so he makes wonders out of left overs, lots of stir frys, etc. Bottom line, you will get to enjoy what you want within reason soon enough, just keep your eyes on the prize and move forward, believe it or not, you have taken a hard step to improving your life but with like anything in life, the first step is the hardest, once you are in motion you tend to stay in motion. Right now it's mostly mental acceptance you are having issue with, talk to your doctor, if you had to have a session with the shrink pre-surgery, contact him or her and talk to them. Holding it all in is the worse thing you could do. Talk to people. Also remember to sip sip sip and walk walk walk. If you have concerns, you will get more responses if you post then in vertical sleeve forum rather than the main general one. Good luck and hang in there. You will be fine.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/27/15 3:49 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Right now, you have all the negatives of the surgery itself, as well as the loss of your emotional crutch (food), and fears and anxiety for the future.

But it is so early, you've had none of the positive results. Before you know it, you'll be losing more weight, going through clothes sizes like crazy, and getting compliments from loved ones. You'll be healthier, exercising and moving better than you have in years. As soon as you start seeing those successes, and the pain and recovery have faded, you'll look at all of this in a new light.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

psychoticparrot
on 12/27/15 5:29 pm

It took me two months post-op before I hit the bottom of the abyss of darkness known by the innocent-sounding term, "buyer's remorse," which is what you're experiencing. "Buyer's remorse" sounded so innocuous when it was briefly touched on in one of my pre-op classes. I thought, "Sure, there's going to be some pain and some adjustment. I can handle that." Hah!

Buyer's remorse should be revealed as the monster it really is -- a panicked, desperate, depressed, no-going-back emotional upheaval that can last for weeks. It's awful to go through. I know exactly how you feel. I was certain, at the time, that I had made the worst decision of my life to have the surgery. Absolutely c-e-r-t-a-i-n.

Here's what you do -- Take one hour, one minute, one second at a time. Do your best not to dwell on the "never agains." (BTW, there are no "never agains.") Just follow your plan: eat and drink what you're supposed to be eating and drinking at this stage, exercise every day at a level that's comfortable for you. Let your work or hobbies take your mind off its dark musings as much as possible.

Because here's the truth: You're still recovering from major surgery. M-A-J-O-R surgery. Your stomach is furious at what's been done to it and will take its own sweet time to adjust to its new form. This is a difficult process for most of us. For a few, it's excruciating. 

Here's another truth: You did NOT make a mistake having this surgery. You WILL recover. You WILL come to love your sleeve and what it will help you accomplish with your weight and your health. You're getting adequate nutrition with tiny portions of food because your body is drawing on its own fat reserves to supply the rest. If you're not taking vitamin/mineral supplements yet, your surgeon will soon have you on them. When you reach your goal weight, you'll be able to take in enough nutrition for your smaller body.

And a final truth: You will be able to eat salads again. Not huge salads, but smaller and equally satisfying salads. I try to have fresh greens every day. They're good for you! You don't have to eat meat all the time. There are other sources of protein to vary the meat routine: eggs, tofu, beans, fish. I don't eat much red meat at all. Most of my protein comes from eggs and seafood. I also eat fresh fruit and small amounts of starchy vegetables, too.

This will happen for you. I promise.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/27/15 6:24 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Buyers remorse is fairly common post op. You'll eventually get past the wth did I do to myself & the why couldn't I have tried losing the weight without surgery. A lot of emotions will come to the surface & you won't be able to use food as a comfort anymore. These feelings will eventually pass but I think you should seek therapy to help you with the mental process & to help you cope.

You should speak with your Dr about what you're going thru & also to get some clarification about how nutrition wise you can get by on so little. You're body will use your fat stores to keep you going & usually we supplement with vitamins. Speak with a nutritionist also, one who is familiar with the requirements post wl patients need.

Cry a good cry, let those feelings out! Too often people avoid them & use food as comfort. I know I have! Come here to the site, use the search button & read earlier posts. Eventually things do get better. Think of this as a stepping stone to a healthier & hopefully happier you.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Tiki3211
on 12/28/15 5:08 am

You are going through the "what the heck did I do"stage.  You are going to do great!  I am 3 months out of surgery and went through the same thing.  3 months out and I am down  50 lbs.  Besides the weight loss, I feel fantastic.  You will be able to eat salad again, but in smaller amounts.  You are having regrets right now, but you are going to love this in a few months.  People have asked me if I have regrets and I tell them that the only regret I have is that I didn't have the surgery sooner.  Try to have a positive outlook.  All will be good.

iloveravens
on 12/28/15 6:01 am
RNY on 08/13/14

So many of us have been there...I'm sorry you're having a rough start.  I promise you will look back and this part will be a distant memory.  I had my surgery a week before my birthday.  My family (parents/brother/his wife) still brought over a cake (for all of them) and I remember my dad making teriyaki chicken wings in the oven during my "birthday party." He actually said, "It's too bad you can't eat these, they are my best batch ever." - This coming from someone who had the surgery 4 years before me.  I was so angry, felt sooo sorry for myself, but now I'm proud that I made it through and hardly remember how miserable I was :)  Hang in there...it DOES get better.  xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/28/15 6:10 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

First, for any major change, it's helpful to wait 6-12 months before making a final assessment.    You may still feel the same, however, many things can change your perspective over time.

Some of your concerns may not seem that big after 6 months.  You prob wont need to eat a BIG salad to feel the same satisfaction as before. You will feel just as happy with a smaller meal.  The first few months were the most difficult for me because choices are limited.  Most people develop a routine around food and meals that works for their tastes and schedule. I am happy with the variety of food I eat at one-year out.

Your worry about not getting enough to eat is probably misplaced.  Only a very few have this problem - most people work hard not to regain.  25% of people regain everything.  Now that you have had the surgery, follow instructions to avoid being in this 25%. 

WLS is not just about being thin - which does not necessarily mean happy, just as fat does not mean unhappy, just as you pointed out. For most it was about addressing other short and long term health issues, as well quality of life issues. 

This may be the time to focus on all the benefits of having the weight loss surgery so you make the most of this next year.  Many of the posters replied with what has been important to them - those accomplishments are a good place to start, however, identifying what specifically you can get out of the surgery is really important.  

If your feelings of (hopefully temporary) discontent with the surgery persist and interfere with your following all the directions, please speak with your surgeon.

I hope that the next year goes easily for you.

Sharon

Willie H.
on 12/28/15 10:54 am
VSG on 08/26/14

A year and 4 months out and I can eat a big salad. Funny, yesterday I ordered a broiled seafood platter. It was preempted by a big salad which I ate. Afterward I could only eat a few shrimp from my platter but today I had some of the platter for my lunch, and then i'll have some for my dinner and probably some more for lunch tomorrow! This Sleeve does save you a LOT of money because now meals served in restaurants which I used to eat in one setting-now takes me 2 or 3 settings. We all most likely were apprehensive somewhat at first. But once that weight start to drop off-you'll jump and rejoice!!! And you WILL be able to JUMP!!!!  :) Hang in there.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Kara D.
on 12/30/15 6:53 am
VSG on 03/02/15

As time goes by the eating restrictions decrease and the amount you can eat increases. As for getting your daily nutrition, there are multivitamins made for sleevers that help with that. You can get your protein requirements through dairy, plants and shake supplements. All are good ways with out always eating meat. Dont let that worry you. 

HW 303, pre op diet 284  CW 278