12 Days Post-Op -- Depressed - VSG Huge Mistake

AuroraZ
on 12/27/15 9:35 am
VSG on 12/15/15

I am 12 days post op and feel so depressed.  I think that I have made one of the biggest mistakes of my life. My decision to have this surgery was absolutely crazy. What is wrong with me? Yes, I am 60 pounds overweight. I was tired of the struggle. Realistically, the chances of my losing that weight simply through diet and exercise were very low.

Then I think to myself. Maybe I should have just accepted being fat. It's not the end of the world. Many people are fat and happy.

My whole life is forever altered because of this decision. All I wanted was to feel normal with food, and at this time, I feel everything but normal.

I have lost 12 pounds since my surgery -- but I do not care about the weight.

I am scared. I do not understand or see how I can possibly get adequate nutrition the rest of my life by only eating 3 oz of food a few times a day.

I love eating big salads. Now, I realize that I am not going to eat them anymore because I have to eat meat all the time. Sometimes, I don't like eating meat!

I know that it is too late for these tears. What is done is done. 

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

LynnAlex
on 12/27/15 10:21 am
RNY on 08/04/15

It is normal to feel depressed after surgery, especially an elective surgery.  I was happy and angry.  I was happy when I was losing weight and angry when I got "tired" of "dieting" and just wanted to pig out.  I couldn't.  I have eaten food that was not healthy further out.  The thing is you can't go by feelings.  You don't go to work when you feel like it, you don't go to the bathroom when you feel like it.  You have to start eating right because your body needs you to eat right.  During the honeymoon period, you are forced to keep your portions small.  Use this time to develop good eating habits. As you get older there is a chance you will have to have an operation for something.  This operation gives you a fighting chance to change your life and be able to do things that being overweight stops you from doing.  

I recently took a scuba class and am traveling to Florida keys to take my open water certification dives.  Before, I knew I could not carry my tanks or find a wet suit to fit me.

Yesterday I ran for 70 minutes.  I used to hike 5 miles, but now I can jog.

I can play with the grandkids outside at the playground and I can jump on the trampoline with them.

I love my new weight.  When I want to overeat for some unknown reason or drive, I try to think about the reasons for not turning to food for comfort.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

Tonya S.
on 12/27/15 10:59 am

I so understand! When I was two weeks post up I was so upset. I went to the support group and asked the group to tell me (each one) if they were glad they had surgery. 100%were! I told them I was happy fat!

I'm 5years postoperative and have no regrets, even though I'm having complications now.

Be easy on your self. You will be able to eat more in time. Ill never eat like I did, but that's ok since I don't want to look like I did.

I'm in Ohio, if you'd like to keep in touch I'm glad to help.

" You will be safe in his arms, the hands that hold the world are holding your heart"
Nikke2003
on 12/27/15 11:37 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

It is normal to feel emotional and have a bit of regret after surgery. But, the majority of people get beyond this period and realize it was the best decision they have ever made.

Fat and happy people only appear to exist because they 1) are kidding themselves 2) do not yet have any serious chronic obesity related diseases or 3) just have never been healthier and closer to a normal weight and so they don't know any different.

You will not eat this way forever. I eat big salads all the time. People at my new job can't even tell I was ever heavy or that I have restrictions on how much I can eat.... I eat the same amount of food as any other health conscious person that isn't stuffing themselves. I can assure you that your experiences now are not a forever thing. That's actually why people struggle with regain at times a couple of years out from surgery...because they can and do eat more.

Hang in there!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Grim_Traveller
on 12/27/15 3:17 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I agree with every word.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

happyteacher
on 12/27/15 11:43 am

Buyers remorse- very common at a few weeks out. I promise it will pass! Your sleeve will loosen up somewhere around the 6 month mark. You will be able to eat most anything once you pass through the phases needed for your stomach to heal. You will feel just as satisfied with your smaller stomach as well. No worries about getting in enough calories, as further down the road maintaining the  weightloss will be a daily challenge (that is doable, but you have to stay mindful!)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Loser2542
on 12/27/15 12:35 pm

At two weeks out, I felt the same. I was pretty miserable, but it didn't last. I hope this period becomes a distant memory for you like it is for me. Right now, just concentrate on getting your fluids in, and remind yourself why you had the surgery. I bet those reasons haven't gone away. Unfortunately, sometimes the hormonal imbalance after surgery makes us forget. If you follow your nut's plan, you should get all the nutrition you need. Instead of worrying about what could go wrong in the future, why not start making a list of the things you want to do after you've lost the weight?

HW: 388 SW: 240 CW: 172      Surgery Date 11/07/2014     VSG with Dr. Chengelis

crystal M.
on 12/27/15 12:35 pm - Joliet, IL

You have to know it gets better.  Much better.  I did have a different surgery than you but once the weight comes off you will love your decision.  As far as eating.  I eat big salads...salads are my go to dinner.  I have grilled chicken salad, buffalo chicken salad, taco salad (with turkey)...the list goes on.  Salads can most definitely be a part of your diet. 

Eggface
on 12/27/15 1:07 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Anesthesia, drugs in your system, hormones, shock and new changes, all equal the blues and feeling overwhelmed.  I don't know many post WLSers that don't have a few days of WTH did I do?! in the first few weeks after surgery... it's normal and believe me... it will pass. I know it doesn't seem like it. It didn't seem like it when someone told me the same thing... they were right though ;) 

I had RNY but we're not that different. You will be able to have a salad one day... now BIG is relative... it will seem big to you... and you won't have to eat meat all the time... it's just what you should focus on especially in the beginning to get adequate nutrition and aid in weight loss... but there isn't much you won't be able to have in the future, a few scrolls through posts on the VSG board will tell you that... I think what will change is your wanting it as much as you do now. 

Best to you,

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

hollykim
on 12/27/15 1:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 27, 2015 at 5:35 PM Pacific Time, AuroraZ wrote:

I am 12 days post op and feel so depressed.  I think that I have made one of the biggest mistakes of my life. My decision to have this surgery was absolutely crazy. What is wrong with me? Yes, I am 60 pounds overweight. I was tired of the struggle. Realistically, the chances of my losing that weight simply through diet and exercise were very low.

Then I think to myself. Maybe I should have just accepted being fat. It's not the end of the world. Many people are fat and happy.

My whole life is forever altered because of this decision. All I wanted was to feel normal with food, and at this time, I feel everything but normal.

I have lost 12 pounds since my surgery -- but I do not care about the weight.

I am scared. I do not understand or see how I can possibly get adequate nutrition the rest of my life by only eating 3 oz of food a few times a day.

I love eating big salads. Now, I realize that I am not going to eat them anymore because I have to eat meat all the time. Sometimes, I don't like eating meat!

I know that it is too late for these tears. What is done is done. 

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

you have gotten some good replies . I would just add that you get your nutrition now from burning the fat you have stored. Later you will be able to eat more and that along with vitamins will be fine for nutrition. Hormones are stored in fat and as you burn fat they are released causing these feelings. It will pass.