Anybody trying WW for long term weight loss?

julieandmaddy
on 12/27/15 6:19 am - Sedalia, MO

I had RNY almost 11 years ago and by all standards have been successful.  At 244 preop, I followed the plan and lost 140 pounds, went on to have a healthy baby, and then regained some weight.  At this point, I got comfortable and have gained some more.  I just want to get a hold on it before it gets bad...so really just 10 or 15 pounds.  I just can't wrap my brain around "the plan" and feel like some structured support will do me some good.  Unfortunately, our local support group disbanded when we lost our surgeon.  I've looked into WW several times, but haven't found many people that are vocal about surgical weight loss.  Anyone have suggestions?  Or are a member of the newest WW...been seeing the new commercials, ready for the new year and new goals!

Grim_Traveller
on 12/27/15 7:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Well, THIS is a great place to come for support. Try logging on for just a few minutes, a few times each day. Read some posts. Share your considerable experience with new people. It realy helps keep your head in the game, more than attending a meeting in person once a week or so. Not to minimize the help that only in-person support can give, the eepetition that OH can give you really, really helps.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 12/27/15 7:27 am - Warren, OH

I had surgery in 2007 and have a friend who joined Weigh****chers at the same time.  We are both at our goal weight now.  I like Weigh****chers for the accountability.  Weigh****chers have many weight loss surgery members.  A few years back, Weigh****chers was considering adding a plan for weight loss surgery.

I went back to Weigh****chers when I had a Bounceback regain at three years out.  The meetings and accountability of getting the weekly weigh in helped me.  I did not tell anyone there that I had had surgery.  I found their plan very easy to follow.  I also worked with my nutritionist.  The thing that helped me most was never drinking my calories.  No protein shakes, Weigh****chers or otherwise. 

I am able to maintain by eating mostly dense protein and keeping carbs very low.  I think Weigh****chers is a great plan.  They are in business to help people lose weight and they know how to do that.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Laura in Texas
on 12/27/15 8:17 am

I have not used WW since my RNY, but I did love it pre-op. I loved the meetings and the accountability. Having someone else weigh me kept me on-track (of course when I stopped going, I gained it all back, which was why I needed WLS).

Are you tracking your food? I love myfitnesspal. MFP, my fitbit, my Withings scale, and OH keep me on track now but if I ever need more support I would definitely consider joining WW again.

Good luck!! 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/27/15 8:40 am

Whatever works for you. Try it a d see if that suits you. 

I could not duo their plan since it would bed too high in carbs. I follow rather low carbs diet ..moderate proteins and fat... 

Good luck..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hollykim
on 12/27/15 9:06 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 27, 2015 at 2:19 PM Pacific Time, julieandmaddy wrote:

I had RNY almost 11 years ago and by all standards have been successful.  At 244 preop, I followed the plan and lost 140 pounds, went on to have a healthy baby, and then regained some weight.  At this point, I got comfortable and have gained some more.  I just want to get a hold on it before it gets bad...so really just 10 or 15 pounds.  I just can't wrap my brain around "the plan" and feel like some structured support will do me some good.  Unfortunately, our local support group disbanded when we lost our surgeon.  I've looked into WW several times, but haven't found many people that are vocal about surgical weight loss.  Anyone have suggestions?  Or are a member of the newest WW...been seeing the new commercials, ready for the new year and new goals!

it didn't work for me before so I can't imagine it would work now.

SkinnyScientist
on 12/28/15 9:19 am

What HollyKIM said. WW did nothing for me but take THOUSANDS of my dollars.

Why dont you just call up your surgeon's NUT or go back to your surgeons plan?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Kathy S.
on 12/27/15 11:49 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

It never worked for me and I tried it several times before surgery.  Due to health issues with my husband I recently put on some stress pounds and got back to the basics and was able to get it off. Here is what helped me, I hope it does you too!

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.  

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker.  Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Tonya S.
on 12/29/15 7:04 pm

Thanks I needed this too!

" You will be safe in his arms, the hands that hold the world are holding your heart"
T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/27/15 5:11 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I tried WW b4 surgery years ago & wasn't successful, the weight I lost I ended up gaining it right back. I'm not sure how they are now, plus I think their meal plans are geared to people who have a regular sized stomach, not for wls people so any recipes or whatever will have to reworked to fit in with whatever your plan was post op.

I can understand if maybe you want something more with the accountability of going to regular meetings, but be careful. You might run into some people at those meetings that might not understand how you can have wls & gain the weight & now go to WW to get the weight off again.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/