30 pounds down but feeling ill

BlIndianQueen
on 1/5/16 1:28 am
RNY on 12/08/15

Hi,

I am now 4 weeks post op, but not doing so great. I woke up this morning with bad nausea, sweats, diarrhea, and dizziness. It was so bad I thought I was going to need an ambulance.

My symptoms are nausea, chills, sweats, diarrhea, dizziness, a rushing of blood to the head when I walk or move to much. I have been having these all throughout the day today. In general I just feel sick!!

Yesterday I had protein shake with berries mixed in, mashed potatoes from shepherds pie with a bit of meat and green beans. Then a kureg Campbell's soup, and of course sipped on water in between.

today I had broth, water, sugar free Kool aid, no sugar added tangerines, potato soup.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? 

i apologize if it's TMI!

supershopper
on 1/5/16 5:48 am

what surgery did you have, I had RNY. I'm only 3 weeks out, but i guess it is all the carbs you are eating. They could be making you sick with the symptoms you are describing.

I would try to only eat lean protein with a little cooked veg if there is space.

Also- are you getting at least 60 oz of water a day? Dehydration can cause very bad things to happen including visits back to the ER.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

peachpie
on 1/5/16 6:13 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I was thinking this was kind of carb heavy for 4 weeks out too. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/16 7:54 am - CA

if you had RNY, these symptoms are known as dumping.   The amount of carbs you are consuming can be causing this to happen.   I would definitely focus on more protein based foods, non fat cottage cheese, soft scrambled eggs and hummus and see how you do.  I have in the past dumped on my protein shake if I used milk or added any fruit.  Fruit has sugar, so I would definitely steer clear of anything other than berries at this point.  

Good luck to you! 

Nik

rocky513
on 1/5/16 7:57 am - WI

I would ditch the potatoes and the fruit.  The berries would be OK once in a while, but not daily. Berries are the lowest on the glycemic scale.  Tangerines are all sugar, even if they say "no sugar added" on the label.  That just means that  they are packed in juice or water.  Citrus fruit is VERY high in sugar.  Your body reads fruit as sugar and it will slow or stop your weight loss.  Too many carbs can make you feel crappy.

When I look at your meal for today, It's all carbs.  Where is the protein?

Also, make sure your protein shake is a whey isolate and does not contain whey concentrate.  You may have become lactose intolerant and whey concentrate contains lactose.  The label should say 99% lactose free.  If you are mixing your shake with milk, try using unsweetened almond milk, or cashew milk instead and see if you start to feel better.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

NYMom222
on 1/5/16 9:53 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Ditto what everyone has said. Are you counting your protein grams and ounces of fluids? 60g is minimum protein and 64oz is minimum of fluid. At 4 weeks post op you should be getting the minimum. If you aren't getting enough of either it can make you feel like crap.

It is not just about eating the least amount of calories possible. You have very little real estate in your stomach and you have to make sure you are filling it with the right things.

If you don't want to use almond milk, try a lactose free milk to mix shakes. I've been using Fairlife, lactose free and higher protein.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

BlIndianQueen
on 1/5/16 9:57 am
RNY on 12/08/15

Hello All,

thank you you for your replies.

i had the RNY, and would dumping be caused if I last drank kureg broth around 9p and woke up with the symptoms at 6 pm the next morning?

I was under the impression dumping occurred a short while after eating something bad.....also been having trouble sleeping so went to bed very late like 3 am.

when I woke up sick, I did not consume anything bu****er until the late afternoon, when my husband came home and made me chicken broth (1 oz,) and gave me a few ( 4 pieces) or the tangerines.

Later in the night I had some cheesy potato soup (4 oz.) 

Soft potatoes are on my list, the meat was hamburger cooked for a while but I chewed chewed and did not eat much, probably not enough to measure.

thanks.

Tracy D.
on 1/5/16 12:38 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If you're waking up in the morning with these types of symptoms you should be checking your blood sugar.  You might be dropping super low over night.  And eating too many carbs during the day can absolutely set you up for big time sugar drops over night.  

A lot of docs will give you a glucose monitor for free if you don't already have one.  And most come with a sample of test strips.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Tracy D.
on 1/5/16 12:38 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If you're waking up in the morning with these types of symptoms you should be checking your blood sugar.  You might be dropping super low over night.  And eating too many carbs during the day can absolutely set you up for big time sugar drops over night.  

A lot of docs will give you a glucose monitor for free if you don't already have one.  And most come with a sample of test strips.  

P.S. Do some research on "reactive hypoglycermia".  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/16 2:18 pm

Exactly my thoughts Tracy. Glad someone brought this up. As a diabetic it certainly sounds like low blood sugar to me. After RNY reactive hypoglycemia is a real possibility My friend developed it after non surgical weight loss, just losing the weight did  it.