Becoming frustrated

Brandilynn230
on 1/3/16 1:59 pm

hello! Tommorow I will be one week post op, and honestly the recovery has been slower than I anticipated. From what I had read and heard people felt great and bounced back quickly. I feel like I'm dragging! Today I did feel a lot better and actually got up, for dressed, and went to a movie with my family. But I was tired afterwards! I drive back 5 hours to my school this weekend so I'm hoping to feel better by then. 

This is isn't the most frustrating thing. I was under the impression that I wouldn't want food, and that I wouldn't really be hungry after my DS. This is wrong! Lol that popcorn smelled so good today! I had to do 4 weeks liquid only before my surgery to loose the amount my doctor wanted and I have to be on liquids only for 4 weeks after surgery. This is 2 months with no food whatsoever! My mom had the RNY and she got to eat solids again today. (Starting with cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.) and I am JEALOUS! Never thought I would want cottage cheese so bad lol. I can do it. I know I can. And it's worth it to lead a healthier life. My boyfriend keeps telling me to think about the future and not right now, but I really am going to be fighting these next 3 weeks to do what I am supposed to! 

I guess i don't have a a question, just wanted to vent and maybe see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thank you!

HW:382  SW: 360 DS performed by Dr. Williams Knoxville Tn. 

peachpie
on 1/3/16 2:38 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

This takes you a a major ride of emotion. Surgery can never take away your desire to eat, that's in your head not in your gut. I'd guess your battling head hunger... The smell if popcorn I'm sure doesn't help. Good for you for venting, it's good to process what's going through your head.

It drives me crazy when people hope to rush recovery based on others experiences. Everyone is unique and responds differently. You have to give your body opportunity to heal. And you will feel fantastic... Just allow yourself the time to get there.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/16 2:45 pm - CA

I'm sorry your recovery has been slower than you anticipated.  Everyone is different.  However, as long as you see marked improvement daily, you are on track.  

As for being hungry......the surgery was on your guts, not your head.  Of course you will think you are hungry, but I doubt you are.  It's head hunger.  I can only suggest what worked for me and that was to stay busy.  Drink your fluids and you will see your "hunger" disappear.  

I can still drink a bottle of water when I think I'm hungry and it goes away.  You will have trying days where you become frustrated and think what the hell have I done, but those days will fade and you will adapt to your new lifestyle.  Be sure to stay on your vitamins, this will help with the fatigue we feel right after surgery. And, be sure you are getting your protein in, that also helps!

Best of luck to you! 

Nik

RNY on 12/22/14

You had major surgery.  It may take a few weeks until you are 100%. 

I felt 'hunger' after a few days.  It does go away with drinking a lot of the times.

Hang in there - you have some experimentation to do over the next few months.

Best Wishes

Sharon

supershopper
on 1/3/16 6:01 pm

This may be a slow process. i remember just hoping i could go onto pureed foods before the 3 week mark. it was hard one time also when my husband and mother decided to eat chickfila in the car when i was in there. that was rough but I got through it.

Find something to occupy your time when your head thinks you are hungry.

you will do fine- remember to take it easy. im 3 weeks out and still not 100%

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Jolly_ICU_RN
on 1/3/16 6:37 pm
WLS on 12/29/15

I'm almost 1 week post op and I'm still pretty tired. I'm taking naps nearly everyday--and I've never had to take naps in my life! I do feel better everyday though!

I understand the food cravings! I have craved things too...weird things...like baked beans (I've never been a huge fan of baked beans) and fish...I can't stop thinking about fish! And I don't like fish either! But all I want is some salmon, tuna, mahi mahi! I don't care! Fish!!! GIVE ME FISH OR GIVE ME DEATH!!! ...not really....

Anyways--I get it girl! We got this! Take it one day at a time!

Brandilynn230
on 1/3/16 7:22 pm

Thank you all! It helps to know I'm not alone! :) you're right, we got this! 

HW:382  SW: 360 DS performed by Dr. Williams Knoxville Tn. 

Victotor
on 1/4/16 4:25 am - El Paso, TX
WLS on 12/08/15

I felt the same way. Doctor put me on B12 injections once a week and it helped with the tiredness a lot.  Started walking and exercising more.  Talk to the doctor and see if that helps. I'm only a month out of my surgery and I started the shots the 2nd week.

cheapskate
on 1/4/16 9:44 am
RNY on 03/30/15

there is a difference between hunger and cravings. That is one thing many of us need to learn. The popcorn smelled good and you wanted some, but you werent really hungry.

I was one that hit the ground running after surgery, I went to walmart on my way home. I know I was lucky****il my complication set in THEN I wanted to die).

You can do it! If the drive takes 5 hours plan for longer than that. Give yourself 10 minutes out of the car for every hour you drive....

hyder1ab
on 1/5/16 7:07 am
RNY on 05/06/15

I would stop regularly on the ride back to walk around. You are still healing and want to keep clots away.