First time posting

lking
on 12/27/15 7:24 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

Welcome, Becca!  

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

alouisa63
on 12/27/15 7:43 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

RNY0615
on 12/27/15 9:23 pm

I'm 6 months post op and had also never had surgery before.  I remember how excited and also scared I was!  You'll do fine.  I don't post here very often but I read the new threads multiple times a day.  Like others have said,  it's a way to hold myself accountable in a sense.  Keep coming here,  even if/when you don't have questions.  

It's true that after surgery you will likely have regrets.  I had no complications but the pain and restriction was far worse than I expected.  In the months following,  it slowly got better and better.  At 6 months out,  as long as I stick to high protein/low carb and drink plenty of water,  everything is fine!  I've also lost more already than I honestly thought I would total.  I'm a dumper,  which I am grateful for.  It keeps me on track even when I want to slip up.  Getting sick like that is no fun and quite an effective deterrent!  

Good luck to you!  Keep coming here,  it helps!  

Becca_B
on 1/2/16 12:37 pm
RNY on 12/29/15

I actually said beforehand that I hoped to be a dumper too, since I feel like it does keep you on track. The forums have been such a wonderful wealth of knowledge already, so glad I found them!

G2GAWAY
on 12/27/15 9:52 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

Good luck on your surgery. I also did not tell most people. I told my family, a few close friends, and 2 coworkers who have not shared my secret. I am glad that I chose to keep it quiet at work. It is funny how many people won't notice what you eat, but some do pay attention. I was also in the diabetic range, which was one of the primary reasons I had the surgery. I simply told people I had to change my diet to low sugar, low fat, high protein to get my sugar levels in line so that I would not have to go on insulin. This seemed to satisfy most people when we were out to lunch or having events at work that involved food. Kudos to you sticking to the preop diet. I also did exactly what they told me because I wanted to reduce any risk that I could control. I had a relatively easy recovery. I think that was due to following Drs orders and moving after surgery when they tell you it is OK. Take it easy though because you will be very tired. Surgery takes a lot out of you and you do need to rest. Not sure how much time you will take off of work, but I took 1 week of no work at all, the 2nd week of working at home (with lots of rest and naps), and then returned to work leaving an hour early each day and napping when I got home. Finally started to feel my energy levels rise at about 6-1/2 weeks.  Good luck on your journey.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Becca_B
on 1/2/16 12:41 pm
RNY on 12/29/15

I was pre-diabetic and I think I will use that when I talk about the reasons for my diet change. It's funny to me how some people seem to need you to eat badly, so they can feel ok about their food choices too. I have noticed I have a lot less energy then I did before. Even on the pre-op diet I felt my normal energetic self, but today had to take an hour nap after attempting a few light things around the house. 

I am planning to do similar. I work from home which makes it a lot easier. So 1 week no work, and will begin light work second week. Im definitly looking forward to energy levels going back up! 

Laura in Texas
on 12/28/15 5:56 am

Welcome!! 

Our numbers are similar. I am also 5'7" tall and my highest weight was 339. I was 42 when I had my RNY. For me, next to deciding to become a mom, it was my best decision ever. It gave me my life back.

Just keep in mind that the first year may be tough as you adjust to your new life, but it will get better,

Best wishes on your journey!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Char_howell
on 12/29/15 8:49 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 01/18/16

Thank you!

Becca_B
on 1/2/16 12:43 pm
RNY on 12/29/15

Hello! Your photos are great!! Its always nice to see someone with similar #'s having done so well! I am trying to keep in mind that each stage is temporary as I adjust to my new normal :) Its so great to read about people's success here on the forums :)

CathyWray
on 12/28/15 8:25 am - Madison, TN

I told people I didn't want to know that I was losing weight because I was eating less and moving more.  It was the truth. Everyone does not gain their weight back.  I am happier now that I ever believed possible.  I had my surgery 2.2.15 and had 100 pounds to lose and I have lost 87. My friend had the surgery the same time and has lost 150 pounds. I see my reflection or shadow and feel so good. The last few pounds a harder but I am up for whatever time it takes. My heart and prayers are with you. I understand how you feel.