First time posting

Becca_B
on 12/27/15 2:48 pm
RNY on 12/29/15

Hi everyone

This is my first time posting, but I have been lurking the boards for a few months now. Reading & searching the forums has been a great help! I have been overweight my entire life, chubby as a kid, chubby as a teen, and then obese my entire adult life.  I've tried a lot of things, like counting calories, working out, weigh****chers and I always had temporary success loosing some weight, but never even enough to get me to a healthy weight.  I am currently pre diabetic, but without any other health problems..yet. One of the things that helped me decide on surgery was knowing I was on a road that was going to lead to medical problems. I am 5 foot 7 and weighed 325 when I decided to contact a Dr. My highest weight so far. I am 36 and I'm now down to 309. I've gone through all the pre-surgery prep, Drs. appointments, and meetings, and I am currently on my 7 day pre-op diet. For my Dr. that means clear broth, SF popsicles and 6 carnation instant breakfast no sugar added shakes a day. Needless to say I am so over the damn sweet shakes, but I know this time will pass, and I have not cheated once. Christmas was hard as on Christmas Eve we had people over. It was a potluck type of thing so no one even noticed that I didn't partake. But Christmas was a sit down dinner at my in-laws and even though I said I was passing on food because I had not felt well, there was still that pressure to eat from a few people. It's funny how concerned other people can be about getting someone else to eat. But I made it through and its been way easier just keeping busy and sticking to my shakes without big holiday meals going on. I am currently on day 6, my RNY surgery is on Tuesday the 29th and I am nervous, excited, and every other emotion. I have never had surgery before, so that part makes me extra nervous.  I have decided not to tell a lot of people about it. My husband and sister are the only people that know and are both very supportive and understanding about my decision to not spread the news. I have some overweight friends (though I was always the biggest) who have always been very vocal about weight loss surgery being a cheat and cop-out. Even when I try to interject things I've learned. I did have one friend who had RNY and while people were sweet to her face, I had to hear a lot of comments about how she will "gain it back", "went the easy way" etc. I have also read the threads here about "who to tell, and when", and for now I have decided no one else needs to know the details. I thought it would be good to start posting here as a form of support, so I just wanted to say hello!

kathkeb
on 12/27/15 4:23 pm, edited 12/27/15 9:18 am

Welcome, Becca and best of luck on your upcoming surgery.

I always say, "you can always tell folks, but you can never un-tell".  Sometimes protecting yourself from negativity is a great gift.

Get the support you need where you can, let others call you a 'cheater' while they remain fat ..... Perhaps your success will inspire some of them to 'cheat' also.

I don't consider it cheating to get medical help for a condition (morbid obesity) that can shorten my life.

My doctor told me that being 100 pounds overweight carries the same or greater risk than having a tumor .... And we would not bat an eye at using surgical means to remove a tumor.

Do what is right for you!!!!

Kath

Becca_B
on 1/2/16 12:32 pm
RNY on 12/29/15

Yes your quote about not being able to "un-tell" has really stuck with me! :) 

Heavens2Betsy
on 12/27/15 4:50 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

Hello!  Good luck with your surgery!  I'm also not telling a lot of people.  It wasn't the easiest decision, but I agree that I can tell when and if I choose.  I have some nay-sayers in my life, and I'd rather not subject myself to their useless arguments and put downs.

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

Becca_B
on 1/2/16 12:32 pm
RNY on 12/29/15

Thanks so much! It's true that its nice to not have to worry about everyone interjecting their opinions, if they don't know :)

peachpie
on 12/27/15 5:23 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Hi and welcome Becca! 

Good for you in making this decision, and wishing you all the best for surgery!!

My best advice is be active on the boards. To me it's just like Weigh****chers...those who attend meetings are more successful. Be active with folks who understand what your are doing and struggling with.

Your experience will help others too!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Becca_B
on 1/2/16 12:34 pm
RNY on 12/29/15

thank you! thats why I'm so glad to have found these forums! 

roxytrim
on 12/27/15 5:39 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Good for you Becca B jumping into the conversations.  It sounds like you have done some solid mental and physical preparation so you will be fine.

Just keep in mind the first week is not at all fun & you might think to yourself...WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! Then before you know it you will be six months in and 70 lbs. down with many health issues behind you and you will be saying to yourself...WHAT WAS I THINKING! taking so long to make the decision to have WLS...

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/28/15 7:59 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Ditto - first week sucked.  A year later, your life is the focus. 

Best wishes,

Sharon

Becca_B
on 1/2/16 12:36 pm
RNY on 12/29/15

Thank you!! I luckily haven't had any buyers remorse yet, but I wonder some times if its because I read so much about it ahead of time (people feeling that way) and kept telling myself "you might feel this way, its normal" haha Trying for now to take it all as another small step in my journey to a healthy new me!