New job - how do you deal with eating around new people?

Shel25
on 12/22/15 6:49 pm

I just want to say that I am glad you are out of a work environment that wasn't supportive of cancer girl for heaven's sake!  You are going to do fine at the new job!  You will get used to not sharing as much unless, of course, you really want to.

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

mute
on 12/23/15 11:29 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Ha - that was not a good experience for sure!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/23/15 11:37 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On December 23, 2015 at 2:49 AM Pacific Time, Shel25 wrote:

I just want to say that I am glad you are out of a work environment that wasn't supportive of cancer girl for heaven's sake!  You are going to do fine at the new job!  You will get used to not sharing as much unless, of course, you really want to.

Gotta agree with that.

What asshats!! 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Nerdy_girl
on 12/22/15 7:11 pm - MD

Congrats on the new job!  Personally, I'd avoid talking about anything medical until people in the office got a chance to infom opinions about me based on my work and contributions, rather than the girl with X.

That being said, I am sure whatever decision you make will be the best decision for you.  There's no right or wrong answer on this one. 

HW: 417 | 2003 RNY: 138 loss | 2015 Revision SW: 279

NYMom222
on 12/23/15 9:54 am
RNY on 07/23/14

It is so normal in our society for people to be dieting, especially after New years, I dont think anyone will notice. If people ask say you eat high protein low carb, 6 meals a day. That way they wont think anything about the meals being small.

Good luck, and don't worry

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Catek2652
on 12/24/15 6:16 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Congrats on the new job! I return to work in mid-January but know everyone in my office is on some sort of dietary restriction. Over time, it's been kind of funny how some tried to keep their issues a secret from the rest of us. Granted, it's a tiny office and we all work closely together. But we have one fellow who is a body builder and eats one grilled, skinless chicken breast with some raw veggie every single day. One gal has celiac so no glutton for her. Another is allergic to nuts. One gal eats a salad every day for lunch. Another is allergic to chocolate. I'm allergic to soy and now I've had Rny, so my eating has changed drastically (particularly in the portion department). There is a contractor who comes in once a month and who used to bring a bit box of freshly prepared Krispy Kreme donuts all the way from the city (a 2 hour drive), so this should have been a major treat. After only he and the boss had eaten any of them two or three months in a row, he finally asked if we were mad at him or something. We had to explain all our food restrictions. We all had a big laugh over it. Now he brings a big veggie tray.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

christinerocks
on 12/24/15 9:36 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Congrats on the new job! You'll rock it.

Don't worry about it.  This is your new normal, and everyone will go with it.  I doubt they will question you but if they do - you're allergic.  Or diabetic.  Just don't say anything about DIETING and no one will think twice.

I started a new job 1 month after surgery.  After about 4 months people started to comment on my weight loss and then finally, they started demanding answers.  "WHAT ARE YOU EATING?" "HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS?" you get the idea.  I just tell anyone who asks what I eat and what I don't eat - high protein, low carb, no alcohol, no processed sugar, etc.  I describe my exercise routine - 5 to 6 days a week, getting up at 4:30am every morning.  Everyone then says, ugh I could never do that.  And then they drop the subject!  I do work in a healthcare environment and a few of the RN's and MD's on staff picked up on the WLS routine right away and quietly encouraged me to keep up the hard work... and they ask me if I'm taking my vitamins.  :-) That's all.  

Now for you, I predict a similar trajectory.  Just go about your day, and no one will question you right away. But you're doing fabulously so pretty soon, folks will notice how much thinner you've gotten since joining the team.  Probably by spring, you'll start to get compliments.  You may have had WLS but remember, you're doing the work. Your progress is due in no small part to your healthy eating habits and exercise. When the compliments and questions come, you can decide at that time what, if anything, you tell people about your surgery.  

Congratulations again!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!