Slider foods??

BlIndianQueen
on 12/20/15 2:59 pm
RNY on 12/08/15

I am very confused when it comes to eating and would appreciate any assistance. I am 13 days post op, and as of right now I do not feel hungry/full. I have been eating things such as, proteins shakes (Premier Protein) refried beans, oatmeal, SF jello, SF pudding, and soups. So when it comes to eating things like oatmeal or refried beans I eat about 2 to 3 ounces. When it comes to soup, pudding, ect... I can eat a lot more.

for lunch today I have a 10oz Campbell's Chicken and mini noodles soup cup in about 25 minutes, is this ok?

When I spoke to the nurses about how I can eat more of some things than others, she stated that some things were "slider" foods.

I really could use some clarification on 'slider foods" as I do not want to stretch my pouch.

Felling lost in the dark...anyone have a flashlight?

bruindiva92
on 12/20/15 3:18 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Question: According to your doctor's plan, what should you be eating and how much?  Be sure to stick to the plan by measuring everything that goes into your mouth.

Now, to answer your questions:

First, you will not feel hungry/full.  You just had major surgery and the nerves have been severed.  Now, you must measure your food to ensure your will not overeat.  You may not feel 'full' for many months out or never again.  I am 9 months post op and I don't feel hungry so I time my meals.  Don't worry, you don't need to feel full.  This is where weighing your food comes into play.

Slider foods do not 'fill' you up.   They 'slide' through the pouch/stomach and you don't have the feeling of being full. Yes, you can eat/drink more because they slide right through.  Search for pyloric valve and read the info regarding how this works.  You will gain a clear understanding of what foods make you feel full and those that slide through.

I hope this helps.

BlIndianQueen
on 12/20/15 3:43 pm
RNY on 12/08/15

Thank you very much for the advice, it helps.

The instructions are 2 to 4 ounces, and I am on a pureed diet but when I asked about eating more soup, they didn't really give any input, except to say that it happens cause its a slider food. (which lead me to think is normal)

I have been very good about measuring everything, except the soup, but I will now start doing that as well.

I also will put together a schedule to follow. Solid advice!

Thank you!

bruindiva92
on 12/20/15 4:45 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

You want to avoid slider foods when you begin the solid food program. Slider foods allow you to eat more food, hence more calories which leads to slow weight loss or no weight loss.

Now that you are in the pureed food stage, it is important to measure everything.  And yes, measure the soup and don't be tempted to do more than 4 oz.  You will feel the difference as far as 'fullness' when you begin solid foods and eat lean protein first, then veggies.

You are doing great so keep up the good work!

Unlimited
on 12/20/15 4:58 pm, edited 12/20/15 9:13 am - WI
RNY on 03/29/16

I just completed my 3 Fridays in a row Education Classes to prepare me for my RNY surgery. Our last day of class included a brief view of "Slider Foods":

"Slider Foods"  Can eat a lot without getting full.  

Foods with Liquids and Solids:

Soups and Cereals  **  Focus on the solids and keep the liquids separate as much as possible.

So the Dietician indicated the following:  With Soups - to drink the broth first.... then the solids of the soup.

Cereal > Drink the milk(fluid) first; followed by the cereal.

One woman in class at the end simply stated to me - " After hearing about the cereal,I may now decide NOT to do the surgery. I love my cereal and at times it is also our supper at night ".  ??? cereal for supper even ... yuck!!

Hmmm, I have never been a cereal eater; nor do I drink milk.  It will be interesting how I incorporate any milk source- I heard many do like the taste of almond milk!

So hope this helps. 

FYI:  Also not that anyone should be eating the following ever ... another Slider Foods are>> Soft processed carbohydrates - list includes - Popcorn, pretzels, crackers, cheese crackers, tortilla chips, potato chips, cookies, sugar-free cookies, cakes and candy  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/20/15 6:23 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Chicken, noodles, beans & oatmeal seems a little nutty to me to eat at 13 days out. You might need to seek a second opinion as to what you're eating at this stage. You might be pushing it a little too quickly.

You won't feel much of anything at this point in regards to slider foods, so you can't depend on that "full feeling" till you're much further out & more healed up. In the meantime you'll have to closely watch how much you're eating by measuring & weighing your food.

Slider foods has been described to me as foods that won't fill you up. Dense protein fills you up, things like yogurt, cottage cheese, pudding, nuts etc doesn't fill you up, so it's easy to go overboard on them. That's why measuring & weighing is so important now, along with logging/tracking your food. You can't feel anything right now, but believe me once you're healed up you'll definitely be able to tell the difference between what is a slider food & what isn't.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

BlIndianQueen
on 12/20/15 6:38 pm
RNY on 12/08/15

Hello,

Everything I have mentioned, is from the puréed diet list that my surgeons office has given me.

No chicken...at this point. The chicken soup is more like broth with tiny soft round baby noodles in it, which my doctors office said was fine.

refried beans, like mush. The oatmeal is provided by my doctors office, it's a protein oatmeal which I eat very runny.

What did you eat during your puréed stage?

Open to suggestions, I want to try eggs, but feel I should wait since I was told by Doctor they must be soft scrambled...I can stand liquid in my eggs.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/20/15 7:17 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Puree foods for me was 3 weeks after surgery & it had to have the consistency of applesauce, no lumps or pieces. It had to be blended together in a blender/food processor. It looked gross. So the soup with small noodles in it would be a no go., into the blender it would've had to go.

I rather have a protein shake, but at the time I'd eat a butternut squash soup, it was an applesauce like consistency, no****ery. Split pea soup was another. Ricotta cheese, cottage cheese I also ate, & they even suggested baby food, which I did have. Plenty of flavors & it was the consistency that I needed, all though I felt like an idiot buying baby food with no baby, but juicing/blending egg salad/tuna felt just so wrong like I was doing the food some kind of injustice to it. I figure I'd only have to stay the baby, cottage cheese/protein shake route for a couple of weeks & then I could eat the mashable with a fork tuna/tilapia etc type foods soon enough.

I couldn't wait to use my teeth again! Good luck to you!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/