ZERO CHANCE

Cheryl Denomy
on 12/6/15 12:46 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Gary,

Your post would be utterly hysterical -- if it also wasn't true.  I can't believe the number of people out there who are given this gift and go off and abuse it to the best of their ability in as short a timeframe as humanly possible.  And then ***** and moan about how the surgery didn't work.

To be clear, I can and do appreciate the struggles that everyone goes through before and after this surgery.  I realize that in many ways my path was easier than that of other people.  I also realize that I made up my mind before my surgery that there was no way in hell I was letting go of what I knew was the very best  -- and very last -- chance I would ever have to get my life back.

There are things I can do that I probably shouldn't -- for example, I can and do drink carbonated beverages from time to time.  Notice please from time to time, not gallons all day every day.  I also still throw up if I eat too quickly or eat something that doesn't agree with me -- I haven't eaten a sandwich since April of 2000.  My pouch, to the best of my knowledge (although I guess I'll know for sure this Friday after I have the "scopes that meet in the middle" -- endoscopy and colonoscopy -- to see if there's a physical reason for my iron deficiency anemia) has not stretched to a significant degree, because the quantities I can eat haven't changed much in 15 years.  I don't think I have to underscore what a miracle that is -- you guys all know that too.

I guess there are just some people who think that surgery will somehow magically allow them to eat whatever the hell they want right out of the gate and somehow they'll wake up the next morning weighing 110 pounds.  They rush from one stage to another and then wonder why the hell they feel sick all the time.  Can't count the number of posts I've read from people astonished that -- surprise!!! -- they can't eat steak or pasta or chicken or whatever a few days or a couple of weeks after their surgery. 

But try to tell some of them anything and we're just being mean to them -- or not answering their question, or talking to them about something they don't want to hear.

This is not an easy road.  Some have it tougher than others, granted, but even when it's "easy" it's nothing that could remotely be mistaken for fun.  And it will last for the rest of our lives. 

Some people, I guess, just can't do commitment.

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/15 1:09 pm

I always enjoy your thought out responses to things Cheryl. I am truly worried about some people putting themselves in harms way because they took this too lightly. I wrote it in this manner to help myself deal with frustration over one person's complete ignorance. It feels mean-spirited to me and I had to weigh actually being so deadpan to illustrate how stubborn she was being.

Meggles07
on 12/6/15 2:49 pm - Canada

Your post just reminded me of one of the things the dietitian from my clinic told me that was instrumental in keeping me in line with the rules.  She said they had only had three people die from something related to the surgery in the number of years they have been doing it.  One was a woman who decided she would eat pizza three days after surgery which blew open her pouch and couldn't be put back together.  I was so terrified by that that I was sure going to stick to all the rules. 

I'm nine months out from surgery now and just last week I had one bite of ice cream and one bite of cake and that was the only time I had anything off plan.  And I'm kicking myself in the pants for doing so because I had promised myself I wouldn't do anything like that between my six and twelve month follow ups.  I can't make it un-happen, so I will just go forward, back on plan 100%.

Meg~

SDenae
on 12/6/15 9:39 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Oh, jeez. That story. I'm glad I didn't hear it before mine or I might have chickened out. It has a very important message, though, that a lot of us need to hear.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LA5767
on 12/7/15 5:08 am

Very well said

Lynne

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/8/15 9:11 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Yo go , Girl.

Hearing this from someone 15 years out is wonderful.  You are a trailblazer and ruthless role model! (I say ruthless as a compliment - no nice guy to the food pushers, no self-delusion about what you eat, etc.  Great job.

Thanks!

Sharon

Donna L.
on 12/6/15 1:05 pm, edited 12/6/15 5:04 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Heh, this made me laugh because I had a huge case of the "buts" when I started the process.  I have a severe eating disorder and I was very much: "but diet coke isn't really THAT bad... but I can just have a few bites of X, but, but, but."  I have made about 4-5 mistakes since surgery, and paid the price each time.  I feel 100% better doing what the vets have said they do.  The few times I went off my path I sure learned quick!  

The thing I learned the most is that food is never worth it.  Even after counseling it is still hard to wrestle with, but I do not want to throw my gift of surgery away.  I'm lucky that my insurance covered it, and lucky that I had a job who let me take off for it, and lucky that I got it before I regained over 430 pounds again.  Diet coke and ignoring my surgeon just for the sake of temporary pleasure aren't worth it to me anymore.  When I have trouble again I immediately use my support network.  I chuck my embarrassment aside and don't let people pressure me to eat, or use my laziness of cooking as an excuse.  It's hard, but that is how you change entrenched behavior.  Again, to me, totally worth it to have people call me on my mistakes rather than not admit them and live poorly.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/15 1:12 pm

You're my new hero Donna. Love the honesty. It's a great example for me.

Donna L.
on 12/6/15 3:13 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I appreciate it, but really the long term vets are the heroes!  I'm only about 5 1/2 months out, and I truly owe a lot of my success to them and reading things here.  It helps me stay on track.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Joemac9408
on 12/6/15 1:35 pm - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

Ah, you should've washed that food down with some beer.  NewB.  

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160