Breath/bad

Waldo56
on 12/6/15 11:02 am

I considering surgery, a gastric sleeve, the research I see on the web shows after surgery everyone is on a high protine diet, similar concept to the Atkins diet. My question is do you get the bad breath with this diet like the Atkins?

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/15 11:53 am

You don't need to eat many carbs to come of ketosis. Ketosis is what causes the bed breath. So once you are on your way, past the weeks of liquids and purees etc I would think not. No-one has said I have bad breath but before surgery on the liver shrink diet I was told that.

hollykim
on 12/6/15 7:06 pm, edited 12/6/15 11:04 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 6, 2015 at 7:02 PM Pacific Time, Waldo56 wrote:

I considering surgery, a gastric sleeve, the research I see on the web shows after surgery everyone is on a high protine diet, similar concept to the Atkins diet. My question is do you get the bad breath with this diet like the Atkins?

as long  as you are in Ketosis,which a strict Atkins diet puts you in,you will have the Ketosis breath. So,essentially,yes,this diet will do that.

califsleevin
on 12/8/15 6:25 pm - CA

If you do an Atkins type diet with your sleeve, then yes, you will probably have the problems associated with it, however, the sleeve doesn't care what type of diet you use. The diet for any WLS is going to be protein forward as we need to ensure that we get the protein in, while everything else is secondary for a while; however one doesn't need to go overboard with cutting the carbs out (though that is the current fashion in the diet industry.) People did just as well with their WLS back when low fat diets were the fashion. I ignored the carb thing and simply worked to have the best, most nutritious diet that I could have within my caloric limits once the protein goals were ensured for the day, and I never had any bad breath or BO problems that typify the ketogenic diets. As a bonus, that flows better into maintenance as one doesn't have to change from one diet and figure out another one - the weak point where most go astray after losing weight, with or without WLS.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin