Protein Powder/Drinks

GastricWonder
on 12/7/15 10:05 am

I am trying to find a great tasting protein powder/drink that tastes as good as possible.  I have a difficult time with sucralose and stevia has an aspartame taste to me.  I just tried the Jay Robb and it was difficult to stomach.

Anyone out there with the same sensitivities?  If you would share your favs would be most appreciated!  At the end of the day, the pluses of having the surgery will far outweigh this minor road bump.  However, if there is a more palatable option, I'd really like to know.

Thank you in advance :)

GastricWonder

Began my journey to Gastric Bypass Surgery: 12/1/15

SW: 271 | GW: 140

hteadtbear
on 12/7/15 10:11 am
RNY on 09/01/15

Genepro is unflavored,  you can put it in whatever you like.

Joemac9408
on 12/7/15 10:22 am - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

Unjury has some good ones.  You can buy samples from them to test them before buying a whole container.  I went through so many different ones in the beginning because my taste buds kept changing.  What I loved one week I wouldn't be able to stomach the next.  I was usually able to go back to them in a few weeks though.  The Unjury strawberry sorbet was really good mixed with a fruity crystal light.  They have an unflavored that I was able to mix with different things.  

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

fluffyfrog
on 12/7/15 1:33 pm - FL
RNY on 12/15/15

I agree that Unjury is one of the best I have tried. I like their chicken soup. NO artificial sweetener taste!

MAchick
on 12/7/15 1:46 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

My favorite powders are syntrax nectars ? Still using them even two years out. 

docbad32
on 12/7/15 2:31 pm

Literally the only one I can drink is Vanilla Premier Protein.  I've tried cheap walmart ones, Isopure powders, Unjury powders, etc.  They all have some quality that makes me gag (taste, foam, etc.).  I'm also the type of person that can eat the same thing every morning for 9 months and not complain or really care.

VSG:  3/12/15

Eggface
on 12/7/15 3:13 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Protein is one of those one person's yummy is another's yuk... sometimes it takes a few frogs to find the prince. OH has product reviews up top the drop down screen that says products but you know... still I have had some people have said were GREAT and I thought EEEK. 

I have a lot of favs and you can jazz them up too...  https://www.pinterest.com/eggface/protein-shakes-and-smoothi es/ 

Hope you find your yummy!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

GastricWonder
on 12/7/15 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone!  These are all great!!!

GastricWonder

Began my journey to Gastric Bypass Surgery: 12/1/15

SW: 271 | GW: 140

NYMom222
on 12/8/15 9:13 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

It is very much trial and error. Also what you don't like now, you maybe OK with in 6 months. It is weird. Vitamin Shoppe and GNC let you return opened protein powder if you don't like it within 30 days. Vitamin shoppe gives you store credit, and GNC a refund. Also you can always return at Costco. I was totally off artificial sweeteners before surgery. It was hard using them (I include stevia in this)... a necessary evil though I guess. Some thoughts: use a recipe, don't just do straight protein powder. You can add Sf syrups, PB2, a little bit of SF instant pudding mix... something to change the flavor up. When I thought I couldn't take them anymore, the coffee flavored ones saved me - Click and Fit Frappe. I used to add some instant coffee to the premier protein too. I find now I like the Premier protein room temp better, or heated up like a hot chocolate.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/15 5:13 am

Another tip:  this is time-consuming, but so beneficial:  Get to know the ingredients list.  I started buying a protein called 'IsoFlex,' made my AllMax Nutrition.  This protein is research-backed and doesn't contain any filler ingredients.  When I read the ingredients list of some of the highly recommended proteins like Isopure, which I had been buying for so long, or now I see Quest protein, or Premier...I see that their ingredients aren't all necessary nor are good for the body.  I find the 'IsoFlex,' at a store called HealthNutz but also on Amazon.  I like the mint chocolate and the peanut butter chocolate.  I make hot coffee proteins with it and it tastes like a Starbucks to me.  In the summer I made 'frosty' type shakes.  I use vanilla bases when I made like flavored ones such as orange dreamsicle, etc.  To me, and I have read up on lots of proteins, this one gives you the most beneficial bang as far as ingredients, proteins, vitamins, etc.  I know the bariatric docs tell us about ones like Unjury, but there are other proteins out there that are far better.  Remember docs get kickbacks for advertisements and stuff, just like how we see ads even here for those protein shots which are completely worthless.  Read up, make friends with people at those health stores who know what they are talking about, and it will help you a lot!