Absolutely no restriction...I dont' thing surgery worked

MsBatt
on 12/8/15 9:43 am

Not the question you were asking, but since you're posted this several times "able to get in all my fluids and protein so I don't have to worry about hair loss", you need to be aware that post-surgical hair loss is typically due to something called telogen effluvium. (Google it.) It's caused by a combo of trauma and general anesthesia, and has nothing to do with how much protein you're eating. Getting adequate protein helps you to re-grow hair, but it won't keep it from falling out if you happen to be one of those affected. (Not everyone is.)

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/6/15 5:13 am, edited 12/5/15 9:13 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14
Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/6/15 5:16 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14
nakitah1
on 12/6/15 6:28 am

At this point I am just repeating the same thing over and over again to people who have made their own assumptions and read into my post things that weren't there. 

So thank you to the people who actually read my post and shared their experience with me. That's all I was looking for.

For those of you who couldn't resist condeming....it happened once!  I realize 2 cups is too much and plan on contacting my doctors office on Monday to see if he has different instructions for me or if he feels some testing might be in order.  I will take the advise of a doctor who has over 10 years education in the medical field over that of a stranger on the internet.

This will be my last post because you can only say the same thing over and over so many times.  People are going to read what they want and assume what they want.

robinreinhardt
on 12/6/15 1:19 pm

Tia,

Yes, I had surgery a year ago. The nurse brought me a complete meal and I drank a bottle of water. My surgeon was very upset with the nurse.

However I wanted to be obedient to my process, so that was one of the last times that I did not listen to her. You are smart to come here to OH, because the vets will guide you along. I could not make it without the support of my husband, surgeon and OH.

Good luck.

Robin

Catek2652
on 12/6/15 2:31 pm
RNY on 10/26/15

My surgeon is counting Nov 6th as my start date as it was the date of my last corrective surgery . I was advanced to soft diet on Thursday which allows me to eat a few tiny nibbles of very soft veggies after I eat an ounce or of some sort of very softly prepared protein, like fat free cottage cheese or smashed tuna. The signs that I'm full seems to be just a gradual loss of interest in my meal. If I put my fork down between tiny bites and chew and chew before swallowing, well, I am full before eating one scrambled egg. About 25 to 30  minutes, I need to get up and move or I get gassy. Again, it is subtle but if you pay attention, you will feel the sensations. It it not like before surgery with full signals. And since I know that nerve signaling Hungary was cut as part of the surgery, if I think I'm hungry, I'm either bored, stressed, or thirsty. I'm sticking with water and Mild herbal tea to drink. I am supplementing protein per my surgeons instructions with premier protein once a day. I divide it between meals as my snack. So far I've lost 30 pounds and seeing amazing differences in my measurements. My goal this coming week having finally gotten all staples and stitches out is to increase my walking. Hoping to be released to drive by Christmas. 

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

nakitah1
on 12/6/15 2:42 pm

Thank you for your reply.  I will keep an eye out for those subtle signs you mention.

Other than the no sensation of fullness, I have been lucky and doing exceptionally well in everything else.  I didn't get staples or stitches over my incisions.  I was taped with steri-strips that fell off after a week.  And I've been able to resume my one hour walks, two days after surgery.  I was even released from the hospital the day after surgery instead of staying for two nights and only needed pain killers the same day I had surgery but not the next morning.

I realize it is still early in the process so I will be keeping a keen eye out for any of the signs that you mention.  Thank you for sharing :)

kathkeb
on 12/6/15 7:33 pm

Cate,

It helped me to start substituting the word 'satisfied' for 'full'.

I eat now to be satisfied.  If I eat to be full, I have over-eaten.

i fixed my measured portions, ate what I could and tole myself that if we're truly hungry in 20 minutes I could think about having more.

In 5 years, I have not gone back for that 'more'.  Within 20 minutes, satiety kicks in, I get distracted, I go back to drinking water, etc.

It sounds like you are off to a great start!!!  Best of luck with the staples and permission to drive!!!

Kath

Chickenboob
on 12/6/15 3:31 pm - Rockland, Canada

It was not my experience. Tomorrow, call your doctor's office and ask for clarification as to what they meant. I was full after about 1 oz of pureed food. So eating until I felt full would have been reasonable. Even though it seems a specific instruction, it is very individual and you may very well be an exception.

Tell them about your experience and get their professional feedback. That's about all you can do right now.

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/15 12:51 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

"I limit my potions because I don't want to do damage." That's excellent, and it's exactly what you need to be doing this early in the game. I had a very similar experience to you -- I had no problem getting my fluids or 100+ grams of protein in per day even immediately post-op, and my recovery was so easy I almost felt "cheated" out of the time when it was supposed to be so effortless to eat so little. Fluids just don't fill me up. That first slider patty was miraculous -- I wasn't aiming to feel full, but it was the first time I felt not hungry in 4 weeks.

Your plan may say to eat until full. My plan says the same thing, but it only works if I eat dense protein -- I'm a bottomless pit where carbs or liquids are concerned. And if you asked your doctor (which I suggest you do!), I highly doubt they would say it's ok to eat 2 cups of chili (even once) at 3 weeks post-op. You don't want to risk a leak by overdoing it when your feelings of hunger and satiety aren't back in full swing yet.

That said, I also strongly advise you to consider the advice of the vets on this board. Most of them aren't physicians, and you certainly shouldn't substitute advice from forums for medical advice, but they have hundreds of years of combined experience to draw on and stick around just to help out us newbies. They don't sugar coat anything, but sugar-coating doesn't do anyone any favors. I got butthurt plenty pre-op and in the first couple months. I even deactivated my account at one point and later rejoined with a different username. But at some point I realized that everyone was just trying to help, even if they were frustrated with me.