Life After WLS

Dcgirl
on 12/4/15 6:20 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Grim!  I am so sorry to hear about your issues but SO grateful you were smart about it and got good care.  How many people come to OH and ask "Is it normal to crap blood?" when they should be going to a healthcare professional!  Your advice is great - we need to track our labs and be responsible for our own health.  I am so glad you are fixed and on the mend.  I will be keeping you in my thoughts and hope for a fast and smooth recovery.  Take care of yourself!  Hugs, Em

Eggface
on 12/4/15 7:31 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Wowowow... so glad you are OK. That is some scary **** (literally) 

and great advice!

Labs... MUST! Doesn't matter if you do all the right things too... malabsorption is a double edged sword and though I personally think the benefits outweigh the negatives it's easier to do slight adjustments when you see a dip versus digging out of a hole... and not just the typical blood draw either... make sure it's a bariatric complete panel... all our good stuff. Most PCP's just run the basics.

and know your body... we have to educate ER Dr's, PCP's sometimes... they got the Bariatric Surgery 1 day course basically... we have the been there, done that, live it... so yes we often know more... make sure they are well versed in the potentials of what they could be dealing with.

Grim, Hope you are feeling 100% again soon!! 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Grim_Traveller
on 12/4/15 7:58 am
RNY on 08/21/12

That's a great point I should have mentioned. Before anyone did anything, I made sure they knew about RNY, and how they needed to take it into account. The gastroenterologists especially, before they put their garden hose down my throat. I made sure to ask 3 times if they had scoped someone with my anatomy, just to make sure. We really can't be too careful. 

They all did a fantastic job, but we can't just assume they know what they are doing.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Dibaby45
on 12/4/15 9:49 am

It seems that ulcers are really the most common issue with long timers. Thank you so much for sharing your story. We all know now better what to look out for. I do wonder if there is anything else we can do to prevent an ulcer for happening? 

Surgeon: Dr. Heydari. Lap-Band to RNY bypass. Surgery June 23, 2015.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 12/4/15 11:05 am - MI

Thanks for sharing you experience and waking others up! I hope you're feeling better and on the road to recovery!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Jshoe_1
on 12/5/15 4:19 am

Where Michigan did you have your surgery, I had mine at mclaren Flint on September 24th I had the flu gastro bypass.

Pokemom
on 12/4/15 11:27 am
RNY on 12/29/14

What a crazy scary experience.  Thank you for telling us about it.  Glad you are settling in back at home, and hoping all goes well as you get better.

robinreinhardt
on 12/4/15 3:50 pm

Grim,

Omg, you are lucky to be alive. A lot of good information for all of us. I always love your posts and have a great deal of respect for you. Bless you, that you are still alive.

Will have you in my thoughts.

Robin

Quiltingnonnie
on 12/4/15 4:08 pm

Glad you are doing better. I found out I had ulcers last week. They are no fun. Mine symptoms were not as severe. Let's hope you never have to experience anything like that again.

best wishes

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/15 12:08 am

So sorry about your ordeal! Glad you are on the mend. 

Great message about supplements, labs, etc... I know VSGers who think that with VSG there is absolutely no malabsorption and therefore don't take even a multi or B12. It is scary as **** to me that they could do that to themselves. To me the risk is too great. I'd rather err on the side of caution. 

Reading through the posts, it looks like you're on the mend and returning to your feisty self!