Surgery is no finish line

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/15 5:07 pm

I have to say I need to lose 25 pounds or more. I will get to my goal. I know I am out of the honeymoon period but I will get there. 

Spencerella
on 11/29/15 5:39 pm, edited 11/29/15 9:39 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Iloveravens - For what it's worth, I'd put money on your success. You seem to have grasped all the elements it takes to be successful. As well as grasped what it takes to not be successful. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

christinerocks
on 11/30/15 8:27 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I agree with others above, Lanie - I would also put money on your ability to beat the odds and win the struggle.  

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/15 3:49 pm

Great post Gary. Tells it like it really is and many people need to hear that. Thanks.

MassHockey
on 11/29/15 5:00 pm

Im way too new to this to really know anything, but fwiw.....before surgery I told all my friends that this was a "mulligan" for me.  I had messed up the first time....this gave me a chance to start over.  I hope that I've learned enough not to mess up again.

Roma
on 11/29/15 7:49 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Yes! I also shudder when I see people post about 'before' and 'after'. In reality, there is no 'after' for us after surgery, or even when we get to our goal, the rest of our lives will be 'during'. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

caliannie
on 11/29/15 8:50 pm - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

I just had my 7 month post-op appointment 2 weeks ago and I'm down 82lbs and 20lbs away from goal. I knew from posts here and from my surgeon that the first 12 months is the honeymoon period. I was average 10lbs a month which has slowed to 5-6lbs a month. Still losing but it is slower. I appreciate Grim's comments. He doesn't hold any punches and calls you out on your crap. Not being truthful with myself is what got me to be 100+ pounds overweight. I just read a post on the RNY page from someone who is only 4 weeks post op and hit a stall. But when they posted what they were eating there was tuna, deli meat, cheese and the like. I was still on pureed foods at 4 weeks, could only eat about 1/3cup and struggling to get enough water. 7 months post-op and I can eat about a cup. I am rudely reminded when I eat more, eat too fast, or eat something I shouldn't. I think the people who don't reach their goal or regain a lot of their weight back thought the surgery was the "magic pill" and they would never have to diet or watch what the eat again. There are some things that I can't tolerate after surgery that weren't a problem before, like milk. I look back at my short journey and I think now is the hard part. How to work the surgery to my advantage going forward. My goal is 135lbs and I have 20lbs to get there. My doctor and I discussed my goal and what weight I feel is a comfortable and maintainable weight. By working the tools I've been given including posting here I'm confident I'll get to my goal and be able to maintain a healthy weight. If I stumble I know Grim is here to call "BS".

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/30/15 4:30 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Are you doing any weight training?  If not, as your weight loss may be slowing (one low month does not mean the end of the line), you may need to rebuild muscle mass to get your engine burning in high gear.  Arobics, running, etc are not enough to do that.

Hang in there. 

I am about a year out, below my goal - but what do I know about what my goal should be - so I am just following post-op directions and seeing what happens.  I have to make VERY good choices, but hunger is not hitting me between the eyes 24/7, so I have a long-term chance.   

Sharon

Willie H.
on 11/30/15 9:37 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Good Post, I agree. And while it's nice to be encouraged when we are following the program and doing well, we need a straight shot of reality when we "cheat" or "test the water" so to speak. It's called tough love and concern because if the veterans did not care they would let us go on and on and tell us it's ok to be kind to yourself once in awhile. But as you said, we DO NOT KNOW moderation-we are extreme, so better to be extreme on the proper side, the nutritional side.

I was one who thought that skin loss could be done by extreme exercise but learned here that skin does not shrink. I also thought that hard exercise could negate bad meals but I learned here you cannot "out train a bad diet". Yes, exercise is good, great for posture, well-being, maintaining weight but it's what we put or do not put into our mouths that helps us lose, gain or maintain weight.

So just the year and 3 months on this forum has been extremely educational to me and I'll keep coming back. I still make mistakes, sometimes unknowingly, sometimes I still "test the fire" and get burned, stupid man that I am! Isn't that what "insane" means? Doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results?Yep, I'm insane.  But I admit it, take my lumps, hopefully learn and continue trying to get healthy-and hope I'll become more consistent in just working the program with no more hiccups. I just keep working toward my goal.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

cheapskate
on 11/30/15 8:21 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Awesome thread!!!  Today is my 8 months and this is a great reminder not to become complacent. I am amping up my game, and this is exactly why I need to. 

Thanks everyone for the kick in the(very baggy) pants