Surgery is no finish line

Spencerella
on 11/29/15 4:08 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I took exactly the same approach and I believe it is the one most likely to take people all the way.  

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Grim_Traveller
on 11/29/15 4:18 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Every once in a while someone writes that they will lose intentionally slow, because they heard it minimizes excess skin. It makes me want to cry.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Spencerella
on 11/29/15 5:35 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Sigh .... or they will intentionally lose slowly so that they will keep it off ... can't say I've seen that play out here.

LINDA                 

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/15 5:37 pm
On November 29, 2015 at 11:40 PM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller, Boy Hag wrote:

I agree. That's why I get pretty vocal with those who "test the waters," or "cheat a little," or those sorts of things at just a few weeks or months out. Those first months to a year are gold, and you never get them back. A lot of people would disagree with me, but I looked at it like a race. Get the weight off as quick as you can, no screwing around. Be a little unhappy now, rather than a lot unhappy later.

That's great advice. I wish you really knew how great it is to actually realize that as I read it. Thank you.

Willie H.
on 11/30/15 7:14 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Wow. You hit the nail squarely on the head!! H.A.L.A. B, Kathy and you and a few others always do. And I thank you all for your straight up, experienced counsel.

The first few months are where we have to do or best and use the tool because after a year or so it is so very hard. I have to lose 140 lbs and the Sleeve said it would account for about 55%-65% or so of which it has done-I've lost about 100 lbs. I have about 25- 40 more pounds to go. Yet, I know I could have lost more during that sweet honeymoon period of which I cheated, and "tested the waters" so to speak. Now, although I am watching what I eat and going to gym regularly but I guess my metabolism has changed (??) and every pound now is hard to lose.

I'm thankful for the weight lost and the Sleeve does somewhat retard regain when you go off, but the key is NOT to go off. (that's where our old mindset comes in) Lose as much as you can WHEN you can!! I'm thankful for the Sleeve and the weight loss and the fact that I am able to work out now as I try each day to get healthy but I do miss the fact that I did not properly use those "Gold" months at the beginning.

Just makes me realize how whacked I am and the power that food has always had over me, and still continues to have. I can easily see how we can regain weight if we do not change our mindset. That's the key for those who've had success-they stuck to the program in the beginning and continue to stick to the program-not getting over confident. Humility, consistency and self-accountability-that's what we need. 

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Spencerella
on 11/30/15 8:37 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I appreciate your honesty. If you can really come to terms with what you know now to be 'true', you still have a shot at getting to goal. It will be tougher of course, but you can still do this if you buckle down and get super serious. 

LINDA                 

christinerocks
on 11/30/15 8:25 am, edited 11/30/15 1:59 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Yes, and I am one who looks at the examples set by those of you who lost the weight, reached goal, and maintained at goal. 

I am taking this specific advice to heart.  I'm not racing against others - I am racing the clock. And you're not the only one who has said it - every book, and every bit of research I've read, supports your contention that these months are precious.  I know my body will return to processing calories and absorb them "normally" within a year or less. I've been on every diet imaginable, and preached the "everything in moderation" mantra for years.  I was also 130 pounds overweight so moderation isn't something I knew how to practice!  Weight Loss Surgery isn't about moderation, it's about drastic action to take back my health. And at 53, I knew I would have some hanging skin.  How much depends on many factors but I'll take it in exchange for getting my life back. I'll decide what to do about it after I'm in maintenance.  

So anyway, whether it's right or wrong, after reading all the posts, listening to veteran experience, and listening to my doctors and nutritionists, when I decided on WLS I decided that I would just white-knuckle it for at least the first 12 months - until I reach my maintenance weight. I chose to follow the program, as close to the letter as I can.  No starchy carbs, no sugars, no alcohol.  I don't intend to test the waters.  I know what carbs, sugars and alcohol will do - among other things they will slow down my weight loss.

It's true that I don't know how to maintain - yet. So I will learn about moderation and decide how, or if, I will incorporate carbs into my lifestyle in maintenance.  I will figure out how I tolerate alcohol during maintenance. But I am not maintaining now - I'm in Month 8 post-op, so yes even for the holidays, I'm resisting. 

Anyhoo - long winded way of saying, I am following this advice.  It may not be the only way to success and other approaches may work for other people but this is my choice.  Thanks for always sharing your honest opinions and thanks for returning here to help us newbies.  

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Spencerella
on 11/30/15 8:49 am, edited 11/30/15 1:12 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I was like you in many ways, including taking my cues from those who had reached goal and were maintaining.

I might upset some people by saying this but I think a monkey could lose 50% of their excess weight.  Just from the surgery itself. And those of us who are human can do a little better than that with some thought.   The tricky part is sorting out and committing to what will take you all the way and keep you there. So looking to those folks who have been successful in all parts of this journey is a solid approach. 

LINDA                 

iloveravens
on 11/29/15 4:44 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

Neither of parents got to their goal and both have gained a significant amount back.  I was determined to get to goal, get under my goal, and I hope to stay here.  The struggle is real.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Grim_Traveller
on 11/29/15 4:54 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I have no doubt you'll win the struggle.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.