Iron Advice

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/29/15 11:31 am

I am post menapousal and I need periodic iron infusions to maintain my ferritin.  Go figure...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy S.
on 11/29/15 12:09 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Us females always get the short end of the stick  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/15 5:00 am

Do the iron infusions make you feel a lot better?  I am waiting on the doc to call me for my consultation appointment for infusions.  I have been buying liquid iron and it's getting a little better but not a lot.  I took the prescription iron and it was getting worse, so he referred me for the infusions.  PS are they painful...

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/1/15 5:14 am

Huge difference after infusions. 

Infusions are not painfull. Just time consuming and ... Some people feel a bit sick after. 

I am a "special case" so I got belly crams and overall yucky feelings for a couple days after infusions. But not enough for me not to get them.  So far I had 3 series...in the last 7 years... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sweetpotato1959
on 12/4/15 10:46 am

Try Foltrin, if you haven't. It doesn't hurt, and is available in generic now... It worked for me when nothing but eating liver did. Then I found the buffalo liver caps.. the dose on those to build iron is 6 caps a day, but they do work.After i ate liver 2x a day, 6 days a week, i had to seek another option...

Denise
sweetpotato1959
on 12/4/15 10:49 am

see  complete post below, this did not go in right place... try foltrin if you haven't....

Denise
rocky513
on 11/29/15 12:36 pm - WI

I had a total hysterectomy 15 years ago and have to have iron infusions every few years.  I take double doses of carbonyl (60 mg elemental iron plus 400 mg Vitamin C) just to keep my ferritin from falling to quickly.

Some of us just do not absorb iron orally

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

sweetpotato1959
on 12/4/15 9:59 am

Did you try foltrin?  ...or the natural approach? Foltrin has everything necessary for absorbtion, including the c and intrinsic factor.(which i lack)... is available now in generic, so not too expensive to try, but will need a RX. as I posted below I make liver patties and have them on certain days, and use buffalo liver caps , from pasture fed buffaol/also available from Beef.I use from 2-4 caps a day/ on those days,depending on my last level.  Just info for you to consider.....

Denise
(deactivated member)
on 12/4/15 10:50 am

I am checking into this.  I didn't even know about the liver caps.  Wow...thank you!

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/15 12:43 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I've always had low iron, but a few months ago I switched from ferrous sulfate to carbonyl iron due to constipation, and it's been a big help. I take 25mg of it a day w/ 500mg vit C, and my levels are improving steadily.