Carnie Wilson continued....

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/25/15 6:22 am

Some people stoma gets enlarged. The idea of the BOB is to make it small (er) again. Smaller stoma = food stays longer inside the pouch, we are suppose to fell full longer. 

That may work for someone who is following the plan: dense proteins, some veggies. But will not do anything for someone who eats slider foods or more carbs... 

My pouch and stoma are good after over 7 years post op, but if I eat the wrong foods - I can eat and eat and eat... But following good diet - not only I get full quickly, but I don't get very hungry either. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Willie H.
on 11/25/15 5:48 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Amazing that Rex Ryan the Football coach lost a lot of weight with the band but NJ Governor Christie does not appear as if he has lost much at all. The band is tough, it appears that it is so easily to bypass (no pun intended) it. I heard some who when going on vacation or particular gatherings can loosen it or perhaps not have it tightened so as to eat more. Don't know if that is true or not. Anyway, as we continue to learn from you guys who have had WLS for some time it still all comes down to personal accountability. We know what we are dealing with, we've been given a 2nd chance and a tool to aid and help us so now we have to make the right decisions. May sound judgmental and harsh, but WE ARE ACCOUNTABLE.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Zee Starrlite
on 11/25/15 8:56 am

Yeah, that is true. I had a band that fit like a bracelet on a ring finger.  It is like you have never had WLS at all without restriction.  I had lots of bumps and was not able to tolerate restriction until my 3rd year.  It also is not loosened nor tightened with wreckless abandon.  Sometimes it can tighten on it's own when flying, changing climates - humidity, a woman's cycle, etc.  So sometimes a slight unfill/loosening when traveling is a great idea.  It can keep you out of an emergency situation.  

Once on vacation to P.R.  my band did not start off tight at all but the flight did something terrible to me - I suppose my stomach inside the band swelled.  The entire trip I could only eat ice cream.  I had my niece and nephew who were young teens with me.  I choked and choked at night and truly believed I needed medical intervention - a pill I took was stuck for 2 days.  That band!  

Christie probably can eat - no problem!   Ryan probably can't eat!  I swear this is true.  People hate to admit that if they can eat, they do.  I only lost with the band after the 3rd year because I actually had "restriction" and because I was terrified of choking in my sleep - so I would not eat at night. Now with my Sleeve, it is so gentle and easy on me that I choose to eat most times  . . .  because I can.

Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/25/15 9:44 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I am not fan of Christie, but if you look at his old pictures, he has lost a bunch - prob over 100 pounds.  When he was down about 100 pounds a reporter complimented him on his weight loss.  He said something about not taking any victory laps.  The most accurate thing I think he has ever said.

It was reported that he did the lap band because the bypass was too risky.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/11/doctor_estimate s_chris_christie_shed_100_pounds_report_says.html

Sharon

Nerdy_girl
on 11/25/15 12:31 pm - MD

It was her discussions about her BOB that pushed me to go back to my surgeon to ask about it -- after 11 years of being an SMO post-op. He came up with a very different (and so far successful) plan to help me, including sowing up my stoma, but I'm greatful that she was open about it. It's sad it doesn't help though. It seemed so promising. 

HW: 417 | 2003 RNY: 138 loss | 2015 Revision SW: 279

Willie H.
on 11/25/15 6:07 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Sad, but true. While I can sympathize with her, especially being in the public eye she has to make better decisions. Good analogy with the alcoholic tending a bar, would be like hosting a Lil Debbie buffett! But good point about her "dealing with her addictions". What it comes down to is that we all have to take personal accountability-in that regard we are ALL the same, whether famous or not!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Grim_Traveller
on 11/25/15 6:47 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There's a Little Debbie buffett? Where? You gotta tell me where it is. Please, man, take me with you. I gotta go.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/25/15 7:20 pm
RNY on 12/31/13
On November 26, 2015 at 2:47 AM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller, Boy Hag wrote:

There's a Little Debbie buffett? Where? You gotta tell me where it is. Please, man, take me with you. I gotta go.

Man, I that damn little tramp Debbie has been luring me for years... 

That said, tell me where this buffet can be found... I want to celebrate SkanksGiving there...

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Grim_Traveller
on 11/25/15 7:56 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I just gassed up. The car, I mean.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Zee Starrlite
on 11/25/15 8:42 am

And a lot of addictions she had - Alcohol, and marijuana daily when she could not eat.  She had a lot of SERIOUS transfer addictions.

This is hard stuff like forever.  There is a commercial that they run over and over in my area for a drug treatment center - " I USED to be addicted to crack,   I USED to be addicted to alcohol,  I USED to be addicted to crystal meth,  I USED to be addicted to prescription drugs . . . on and on and on.  I look at each one of these faces with their words and think buddy, you are mistaken if you believed you USED to be an addict!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy