Is it to late for muscles??

Lady2This
on 11/20/15 7:07 am - NC

I am currently 5 years out as of 11-8-15. For the last 2 years. I have not been eating correctly or have I been exercising. I have not gained any weight at all. I have actually lost weight. I have noticed lately that I am looking droopy and my muscles are turning into fat. I am lost on how to get proteins in during the day because I have not been eating well. Is it to late to turn my flabby fat back into muscles? What can I do? What are good source of protein this far out? Please help me I lost 167 pounds and was happy until now I look so flabby. Thanks

crystal M.
on 11/20/15 8:06 am - Joliet, IL

I say it's never too late. 

But when you say droopy are you talking about skin or fat.  Because working out and toning up will not help with loose skin.  That is caused by our skin being stretched out further that it was meant to be stretched....think of a piece of elastic that has lost it's elasticity.  That is our skin.

BUT- if you are talking underlying fat.  Than no it's never too late.  A person can always workout and build muscle and look great.  Not to mention weight training is great for your bones and posture and a great way to help your metabolism.   

Lady2This
on 11/20/15 8:35 am - NC

I was referring to the underlying fat. I have loose skin also but it didn't look as bad and soft. It actually was muscles with some saggy skin but now I feel really soft. My arm muscles. my butt is drooping. I am 41 so do you think even with Age I can lift and tone? I was very active the first 3 years

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/21/15 6:58 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Congats on keeping the wt off- that is job one.  It seems like now you need to get to a gym and do some weight training.  You might want to start with a trainer - tell them you need to replace lost muscle mass - and then work hard for that training time.  I swear by weight training!!!  It is not too late.  Just get started!!!!!!!!

Sharon

Lady2This
on 11/21/15 11:36 am - NC

Thank you!  I feel so relieved now. I was so depressed about my body. I thought it was no hope besides surgery. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/22/15 7:59 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You need the weight lifting for your general health.  It is not a guarantee that you will not need/want plastics.  The need for plastics is dependent on age, highest weight, time, and genetics.  Do the best and see what you have.

Sharon

Kathy S.
on 11/21/15 10:07 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

It's never too late

Do very little cardio and start out with weights/resistance workouts. If you can afford it get a trainer to get you started. If not, youtube has a ton of great workouts. All you need are some bands and or hand weights to start.

Here is a link to our Exercise and Fitness Forum

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Lady2This
on 11/21/15 11:37 am - NC

Thank you! 

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/15 4:37 am

I had RNY in 2009 and I exercised at first, but I had a span of about 2.5 years where I didn't really.  I gained 20lbs from where I was (went from 170-190) and got sick of myself, so I started again.  I have been exercising and really focusing on the weightlifting side of exercise, making it the 'meat' of my workout.  It has allowed me to burn more fat and convert fat to muscle.  The loose skin that I have now is becoming minimal because the body is reshaping itself, so I say, go for it.  I do have small batwings and some shaky skin on my inner things.  I don't care.  These are battle wounds and I will keep working on them.  Don't be intimidated by people you see in the gym.  Go and do your best.  I pretend like there's nobody there and I don't talk to anyone because I am a talker and I would talk all day and never get anything done.  Good luck; you can definitely get back in there!

Lady2This
on 11/23/15 12:29 pm - NC

That was my problem I was doing good for a while until the last 2 years. I have been very sad lately because I see my muscles turning into fat and I feel extremely soft. I am gonna push myself because I need to do it for my child that is now 210 pounds at the age of 14. I talk to her but she doesn't see me putting in work myself. So I really need to do it to save her. Thank you so much and good luck!!