Sleep Study, What Should I Expect?

Kathy S.
on 11/12/15 8:04 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Minkey
on 11/12/15 8:13 am

Wear pajamas that are loose fitting since you'll have little electrodes with wire attached on your legs, head, neck, arms, etc.  It's no big deal.  I've had several and one big problem is not sleeping in your own bed.  The wires are attached to a box next to your bed (or on the pillow) and it's not easy moving around since you have about 20 wires attached to you.  They just need to determine how much sleep  you actually get and how many times you wake up.  The staff are usually friendly and will joke with you if you joke with them.  It doesn't hurt, but you will have glue stuck to you and your hair, so make sure you bring shampoo and soap to shower before you leave.  Have fun!!

savingmyknees
on 11/12/15 11:01 am

I had a home sleep study two nights ago. It was a breeze and mostly comfortable.

Either way, wear comfortable clothing and relax and try to sleep like you normally would.

Good luck :)

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/15 11:47 am

Okay! Finally something I'M an expert at. I've had 3 sleep studies and worn a mask for 20 years. I think beyond everything else that's been described, my biggest problem was getting wrapped in the hose. It took a year or so to get completely used to it. If you're found to have sleep apnea, they will want you back for another night to see how you sleep with one on. It's important to carry a product called "ocean water" also as you will experience dry sinus cavities from the constant pressure. I had a "UPPP" surgery as well, it didn't work so a CPAP was necessary. Good luck. You will love your sleep soon.

lking
on 11/12/15 3:32 pm, edited 11/12/15 7:33 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I was needlessly scared to have my 1st sleep test.  The worse part was having to turn off the tv by 11pm (I'm a night owl) and go to sleep. Other than having no tv, my bed was uncomfortable, I was used to sleeping in a recliner chair.

My 2nd sleep test was a year later, after having lost 53 pounds.  This time I convinced the tester to allow me to sleep in a recliner chair and leave on the tv (without sound).  This time I slept like a baby because I had all the comforts of home.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

healthy-rickfan1971
on 11/14/15 7:06 pm

I just had a sleep study at the end of last month. Got my report paper on it in the mail couple days ago saying everything was in normal limits. I worried I wouldn't be able to sleep at all. I am a natural night owl all my life. Who has since having a discecotomy and fusion of  C5-C7 on my spine, My LOWER back wakes me with horrible pain after 2-3 hours in a bed. This is with still being on all kinds of pain meds and muscle relaxers (truthfully, probably the MAIN reason I did sleep fro study was the meds.) That plus I made sure the night before I went to bed at 4:30 AM and was up at 6 Am for entire day. I let the one putting my electrodes on that I would most likely get up for a potty break and have to move into the recliner, as my back would no longer allow full night in bed. It made a bit of trouble for them re hooking up the ones that had migrated during the potty break and move to recliner. But it allowed me to finish off the nights sleep. And was happy to find out no apnea. My primary  doctor and cardiologist thought that may be why my heart goes nuts at times. It usually happens at nighttime. Although honestly I am generally still awake till 4 anyway. Happy to find out will not need a mask, but still no answer for the heart palipatations. Hope your study goes well. And they find answer for the betterment of your health.