Surgery is December 9th for gastric sleeve.

tlb29
on 11/10/15 9:00 pm - Thornhill, Canada
WLS on 12/09/15

I have been waiting almost 6 yrs and its now my turn to have a gastric sleeve(Dec 9).

I am on day 2 of drinking broth and Glucerna, its going to be a long 30 days, lol.

Part of me is excited but part of me is scared and I am not sure why. 

If I am honest I think its because food has been my drug of choice, my life has revolved around it and now my addition, my crutch is being taken away from me as I knew it.

I know food wasn't my friend, (not the way I was eating it), and I know everything about having this surgery is for the better, (that's when the excitement come into play.)

I think I am scared of the unknown. Will I be in pain days afterwards with the gastric sleeve? 

Any tips would be appreciated.

thanks

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/11/15 6:35 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Congratulations!   I had RNY, but from what I experienced and what I've heard from others, it was more discomfort after I got out of the hospital, not real pain.  When I woke up, I felt like I had done 2000 sit-ups because they push your muscles out of the way to go the surgery.  I followed instructions and did not let the pain get away from me, so when I went home I was sore, but not in agony.  I drove a week later, after I was cleared.

Here's my pre-op story:

About 5 years ago I hurt my knee and knew I had to do something...  I told myself I had one more diet in me and then I would try WLS.  I went to a university program, lost 120 pounds and a week after I reached my goal weight, I started regaining and never stopped until I had gained 110 back.  I looked into WLS, and learned that only 3-5% of people who lose weight can keep it off.  I finally admitted that I was NOT one of those lucky few 3-5%. (It took me 57 years and myriad failed diets to figure that out!!)   

I accepted that about myself and looked at my options:  stay heavy and gain a few more each year, go through a cycle every few years of losing and regaining, or get WLS.  

I am 10 months post-op, so I am still in the honeymoon phase (which may soon be ending), but this is the first time I reached my goal weight and was not diet fatigued.  I am 10 pounds below my goal weight - but I am staying on track (with some vacation exceptions to be honest) and seeing where my body thinks is healthy.  

I don't know if I ever felt I was a rock bottom, because I could have gained more, I just was at a decision point if I wanted to put more pressure on my knee or get WLS.  And WLS is easier to recover from than knee replacement.

Sharon

tlb29
on 11/11/15 11:43 am - Thornhill, Canada
WLS on 12/09/15

Thanks Sharon for sharing your story.

So can you eat "real food"? I guess I am wondering if there are foods that will make us sick, I know to stay away from high fats and sugar, but any digestion problems?

mictariam7
on 11/11/15 4:40 pm

Congratulations and good luck on your surgery and postop journey. 

M

Kathy S.
on 11/11/15 6:18 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

How exciting and OMGosh, 6 years?  You must be so ready for this  Its normal to be scared but you will get through it.  Take it one day at a time.  Here are some great links to articles to help you prepare for surgery.

We can't wait to read your updates!

Preparing for Surgery Through Nutrition

Photographing Your Weight Loss Surgery Journey

Weight Loss Surgery Hospital Stay: What To Pack

Four on the Floor: Self-Care After Weight Loss Surgery

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

pec21
on 11/12/15 5:17 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Hi There,

I am having sleeve surgery on Dec. 2nd.  I know that food is an addiction for me, too.  I'm scared that if I don't have that crutch, will I use the resources available to me? 

I've gone through so many emotions:  ready to do this, not sure if I can do this, eating more than I should, then getting back on track and ready to try again.  I've read that this is not like other diets and there is a greater chance of success.  I believe I am worth that chance.

Good luck to you and may your journey be successful.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGVxuqk/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGVxuqk/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Courtneysjourney
on 11/13/15 1:34 pm - London , Canada

Congrats on the next steps in your journey!!

Im new to the whole wls process, my referral was sent mid September and within a couple weeks I had my orientation .. How long did you wait from your orientation to your surgery date?!